Monday, July 04, 2005

THE SHADOW OF THE WIND


Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org
 
The Shadow of the Wind, Carlos Ruiz Zafon, Penguin Books, 2005, 487 pp


Yesterday I finished The Shadow of the Wind, by Carlos Ruiz Zafron. It is longish (487 pages) but I loved every minute of reading this book and it was a fast read. The story takes place in Barcelona spanning the years of the Spanish Civil War up to the 1960s. As a young boy, Daniel, son of a bookseller, is mourning the loss of his mother. His father takes him to the Cemetery of Forgotten Books where he is allowed to choose one book. His choice is The Shadow of the Wind, by Julian Carax. Daniel reads all night, is entranced and begins to search for other books by this author.

So I am immediately entranced because it is a book book and that is exactly what I do when I read a book that I love. I look for more by that author. But Daniel's search opens up a mystery which becomes an epic of murder, madness and hopeless love. The successful mixture of genres is only one of the wonders of Zafron's writing. He also now and then drops in philosophical, political or humorous bits that are clearly his views, but done with such a deft touch that you hardly notice. The characters are excellent, the mystery is gripping and the descriptions of Barcelona are truly stunning.

Then he pulls off a great ending. I want more books by this author.

4 comments:

  1. That's one of my all-time favorite books. I think it's a masterpiece.
    Since then he has written two other books based on the Cemetery of Forgotten Books, which I haven't read, but I'm not a big fan of repeating sucessful recipes when it comes to books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read The Angel's Game and also loved it but in a different way. Not everyone felt as I did. My review is here: http://keepthewisdom.blogspot.com/2009/06/angels-game.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favourite series by one of my favourite authors, Carlos Ruiz Zafón. A book about books that hardly finds its equal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for adding a comment here, Marianne.

      Delete