Tuesday, June 16, 2009

THE MEMORIAL


Dear Readers,

I will be gone for a week. The memorial for my mother is this coming Saturday and I am hosting it at what was her home. Then we have to clear out the house because it is being sold. So it will be what one of my friends used to call a "family rebellion" including all my mom's wonderful neighbors. She lived on 5 acres in the country with a pond, a huge garden and all kinds of trees. We are sad about the whole thing.

While there, I will also pay homage to Shaman Drum Bookstore, which is closing its doors on June 30. Another sad thing. It is one of the coolest bookstores in the world but has fallen prey to all the woes of independent bookstores: the internet, the economy, the chains, etc. At least we still have Nicola's, which will now become the coolest bookstore in Ann Arbor.

If you miss me, check out some of the other blogs listed on the sidebar. Keep reading. Keep the wisdom.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:06 PM

    Hi Judy:

    I know you probably won't check this blog for awhile. I want you to know that Mom and I are thinking of you and praying that this time will not be too hard. Mom and I had to go through the same thing with packing up my Grandma's(her mother) house 10 years ago.

    I hope that you can some reading because I know it's something you enjoy.

    Love,

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lisa. I have now made it through and back home. It was a lot of work but overall a pretty cool experience. The Memorial itself, all the good funeral food, the memories shared, etc.
    Not much reading done. Tried to read The Little Stranger by Sara Waters but it was a bit boring. On the plane home I read a wonderful short novel by Amy Bloom (Away), called Love Invents Us. Very appropriate and special.

    ReplyDelete