Thursday, February 11, 2010

WORD OF THE DAY

Well, I am a day late but I was busy making a dollar yesterday. And it is better than last week when I missed Word of the Day entirely.

I found so many words I did not know in Little, Big by John Crowley plus they are such great words. So please indulge me in a few more. I finished the book in January and have already posted my review. But now my husband is reading (and loving) it. There is really nothing better than when your significant other reads a book you loved and loves it too. We talk about it every night.

 

Today's word is minatory. It is from page 112 of Little, Big. I found this great image though the word could cover many images.

minatory is an adjective meaning menacing or threatening.

It comes from the Old French minatoire which comes from the Late Latin minatorius, a form of minari, which means to threaten.

My sentence: They took a look at the minatory clouds and knew that at least another foot of snow was coming.

Please contribute a sentence in the comments.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:34 PM

    My sentence:
    The minatory flames of the fire came too close for comfort.

    From A to Z

    ReplyDelete