Sunday, January 01, 2012

TOP 25 BOOKS READ IN 2011


TOP 25 BOOKS READ IN 2011


2011 was an average reading year for me. I read 127 books. My best year ever was 2010 when I read 160. This past year my husband and I bought a house, moved, did a bit of redecorating and I created a new yard. Also my elder son and his family moved to Los Angeles bringing me the wonderful distraction of three grandchildren just a few miles away. It is all good.

Still, books never let me down. Whether I am enthralled from the first page to the last; learning about history, science, or other cultures; or just plain discovering how not to write a book, I am always enriched.

I have not gotten an eReader yet. I have not even tried reading on one. I do love holding a book in my hands and I have a weird thing about how every book has a different smell inside the pages. I still use my local libraries, shop at indie bookstores and used bookstores, all for the sense of discovering something I didn't know about despite my hours on the Internet. Sometimes I fear that Amazon will eventually usher in a kind of 1984, when our reading choices are determined by what is available there, but I have decided that is a foolish worry. The urge to write down one's thoughts, giving them permanence and wide distribution, has been interfered with throughout history but never has it been stopped.

Despite a shorter total of books read, I was as usual hard pressed to limit my Top Books to 25. These are books I read this year, not books necessarily published this year. All are reviewed on this blog. I would enjoy hearing about your year in reading.

THE LIST

Anthill, E O Wilson
The Astounding, The Amazing, and the Unknown, Paul Malmont
The Barbarian Nurseries, Hector Tobar
Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter, Tom Franklin
Doc, Mary Doria Russell
Embassytown, China Mieville
The Forgotten Waltz, Anne Enright
The Girl Project, Kate Engelbrecht
The Girl Who Fell From the Sky, Heidi W Durrow
The Illumination, Kevin Brockmeier
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, Rebecca Skloot
The Likeness, Tana French
The Lotus Eaters, Tatjana Soli
Luminarium, Alex Shakar
A Million Nightingales, Susan Straight
Nightwoods, Charles Frazier
The Ordinary Seaman, Francisco Goldman
Prospero Regained, L Jagi Lamplighter
Say Her Name, Francisco Goldman
The Sea Around Us, Rachel Carson*
Sea of Poppies, Amitav Ghosh
State of Wonder, Ann Patchett
West of Here, Jonathan Evison
When the Killing's Done, T C Boyle
Zazen, Vanessa Veselka

*Review coming soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment