Sunday, March 20, 2016

MOCKINGJAY







Mockingjay, Suzanne Collins, Scholastic Press, 2010, 390 pp
 
THE SUNDAY FAMILY READ
 
Summary from Goodreads: Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home has been destroyed. Gale has escaped. Katniss's family is safe. Peeta has been captured by the Capitol. District 13 really does exist. There are rebels. There are new leaders. A revolution is unfolding.

It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been part of the revolution without knowing it. District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol. Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plans--except Katniss.

The success of the rebellion hinges on Katniss's willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibility for countless lives, and to change the course of the future of Panem. To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust. She must become the rebels' Mockingjay--no matter what the personal cost.
 
 
My Review:
I turned to the last book of the Hunger Games trilogy for some light reading. Ha! Was I wrong.
 
In a YA series, it is inevitable that the protagonists get older and their lives become darker. Look at the Harry Potter books. Katniss has gone from an innocent impulsive decision to save her little sister by taking her place in the Hunger Games, to falling in love (publicly and then really) with Peeta in Catching Fire, to becoming the face and symbol of a revolution in Mockingjay. A teenaged girl who hunted to kill animals as food for her family has now killed humans.
 
Mockingjay is dark indeed. The reality-show-gone-wrong tone of the first book has evolved into a deep probe into topics like child soldiers, torture, and the "end justifies the means" sketchy logic of revolution. Heavy stuff. 
 
I still maintain as I did in my review of Hunger Games that these are good books for teens. This is the world they are inheriting brought to vivid life and devoid of sugar coating.
 
I also saw Mockingjay Part One, the movie, about a week after finishing the book. Excellent adaptation and sensitive portrayal by Jennifer Lawrence of the end of the innocence for Katniss.  
 
 
(Mockingjay is available in paperback on the shelves at Once Upon A Time Bookstore.

9 comments:

  1. I've never gotten beyond Hunger Games in this series. I wasn't terribly impressed but it sounds as though the later books are more complicated and might be worth a read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too had only read the first one, but when the movies started coming out, I read the others before seeing the movie. They do get more complex as does Katniss's life.

      Delete
  2. As always, I haven't read the books, but I think the movies did a great job in bringing the story alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree. I think you would like the books.

      Delete
    2. I think so too.

      Delete
  3. I thought Suzanne Collins did a good job with these books. I read 1, 2, & 3 and saw one or two of the movies. Dark and super violent for sure! Your review made me go back and look to see what I had said. I probably said too much with my post at: http://www.thecuecard.com/?s=Mockingjay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went and read your review Susan. I left a comment. I don't think you said too much. I am pretty sure we are not the target audience but I admired both the books and the movies, especially for teens but for myself as well. My granddaughters, now 16 and 13, love the books and the movies. I can see why. Thanks for your comment and your review.

      Delete
  4. Hello dear Judy! I haven't read the Hunger Games books, I haven't read the Harry Potter books. And I haven't seen those spectacular movies. Shame on me...Hahaha....As you know they are not my type ;-(  But, I always enjoy reading your book reviews - your passion shines through!! I wish you a fabulous Easter, dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your type is fine with me. I enjoy your reviews as well. Happy Easter to you and you sweetie!

      Delete