Tuesday, February 06, 2018

FEBRUARY READING GROUP UPDATE




I am a little bit late posting this. I can't seem to keep up with blogging because I am having such a great time reading. Terrible problems I have, right?

Reading groups are a bit quiet this month. The One Book At A Time group never met in January due to rampant flu-not me thank goodness. So we will discuss Miss Burma this month. Laura's Group went on hiatus for the holidays and has so far not been resurrected. And the Tiny Book Club also had a member down with two bouts of flu. To date we have not discussed The Wreath from January as a group and have not got a new book picked. Did you really want to know all of that? Well, now you do.
 
Here's more: Some of you wanted to know how my groups did with the fantasy novels last month. Well, it was all a great success. In Molly's Group three of the five attending had already read Dune but reread. Molly and I were new readers of the sci fi classic. We all were totally thumbs up on the book and had a rousing discussion. 
 
I had been quite worried that my recommendation to the Bookie Babes that we read The Fifth Season would end in disaster, since some of them had never even read fantasy before. Well, we had two haters, one of whom said she kept wondering what was wrong with her because she couldn't understand the story at all. But the rest, 7 out of 10, either admired the imagination at work or completely loved the story, the characters and the challenge. One member had already finished the second book in the trilogy by the time we met and was well into the third. Our motto at Bookie Babes is "take a chance on a book" and last month we lived it!
 
 

Here is the line-up for February. I am excited to discuss all three:
 
 
One Book At A Time:
Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org
 
 
Tina's Group:
Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org
 
 
Bookie Babes:
Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org
 
 
What are your groups discussing this month? Has anyone newly joined a reading group lately? 


8 comments:

  1. I've been intrigued by The Weight of Ink for a while. I've seen it on my cartwheel on Amazon and wonder. Looking forward to your review(s). :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So have I and was glad when that group agreed to my suggestion to read it.

      Delete
  2. I'm not familiar with these, but I look forward to reading more about them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad your fantasy book discussions went well. Hmm I've heard good things about The Weight of Ink, a thick book too. I think the Denfeld novel was fine for a missing person story but not as good as her first novel for me. Still it's quick. Alas I'm not in a book group these days, so have to discuss reads with myself, ha. Right now it's The Power. Hmm. Still assessing what I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Weight of Ink is indeed weighty. I am reading it now but I like the historical parts. It would be hard for Denfeld to do better than that first novel. It was so amazing. We are reading The Power for my Molly's Group in March. I will be curious to know what you think about that one.

      Delete
  4. Sadly due to illness I wasn't able to attend my church's book club meeting to discuss Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus by Nabeel Qureshi, but I really enjoyed the book. Now I am reading The Case for Grace by Lee Strobel for our next meeting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. January was a tough winter for staying healthy. I saw that in my groups. Wishing you good health in February.

      Delete