Sunday, June 24, 2018

FALLOUT




Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org


Fallout, Sara Paretsky, William Morrow, 2017, 433 pp
 
 
Once again Sara Paretsky gave me excellent value for my reading time. Once again I have read her latest book and now have to wait until her newest one comes out later this year.
 
I feel like I know her Private Investigator V I Warshawski so well. Almost as well as any longtime friend of mine. There is a lot to be said for following a character through three decades and 17 books, but especially such a complex, competent and fiery character as this one.

In Fallout, V I leaves Chicago for Kansas, on the trail of two missing persons, a vanished film student and a former Hollywood star, both of whom happen to be Black. She runs into plenty of Middle American racism but also long buried secrets. The fields are dotted with abandoned nuclear missile silos from the Cold War and wafts of biological warfare research are blowing through the prairies.

Although Vic has brought one of her dogs along, she is as alone as she has ever been without friends or even acquaintances. When she realizes certain government agencies are tracking her movements through her cell phone and laptop, she is forced to practice detecting by dead reckoning. 

Fallout is one of her most exciting books yet.


(Fallout is available in paperback by order from Once Upon A Time Bookstore.)

10 comments:

  1. I have never read this author although I know she is quite popular. Glad u enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like mysteries with a strong female detective, I think you would like Sara Paretsky's books. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

      Delete
  2. I know you like V.I. and Paretsky. It's always exciting to get a new book by a favorite author, especially a book whose character we have been following for ages and feel like we know so well. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is almost like having an imaginary friend!

      Delete
  3. Thank you, Judy. I'm glad you enjoyed it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did! Whoever you are. I know it is sometimes hard to comment on Blogger so thank you for doing so.

      Delete
  4. She just gets better and better, doesn't she? I loved this one, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes she does! The next one comes out in October. Looking forward to it.

      Delete
  5. I haven't read any of Sara Paretsky's novels before, although I am familiar with her as a writer. Glad you enjoyed reading Fallout!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is kind of unique as far as mystery/crime writers go because she is so passionate about social justice.

      Delete