Saturday, September 21, 2019

WITH SHUDDERING FALL


Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org

With Shuddering Fall, Joyce Carol Oates, Vanguard Press, 1964, 316 pp 
 
This the first novel by Joyce Carol Oates. I read it once before in 1992 and judging from what I said about the book in my reading log, I had little idea what it was about except that the characters were like no one I had yet met in books or in life.
 
Rereading it 27 years later I could hardly believe it was a debut novel. I do know from having read Invisible Writer, a biography of JCO by Greg Johnson, that she wrote several novels and then threw them away before even seeking publication. I also learned that she was raised in a small rural town similar to the one in this novel.

She therefore did not just make up a dark story wherein an innocent 17 year old girl gets mixed up with the violent son of the crazy hermit who was a neighbor and old friend of her father. She saw lives like these around her as a child.

I don't agree with the synopsis/summary on the Goodreads page but to tell you why would be to reveal too much about the plot. The girl Karen does enter into a compulsive affair with Shar, a race car driver, but her reason for doing so is buried in the first section of the story. Revenge is the main theme formed from a violent act against her father which was beyond Karen's experience of life so far. 

Her unwavering commitment, her lack of concern for herself, her icy control, are portrayed in scenes as chilling as anything I have read by Shirley Jackson or Carson McCullers or Flannery O'Connor.

I am pleased that I took the time to reread With Shuddering Fall. I have been reading Joyce Carol Oates for many years, but sporadically and in no particular order. I hope to read all the novels in order, a large project because she is so prolific. She has devoted fans as well as readers who dislike her books with equal passion. I am one of the former. How about you?

18 comments:

  1. I added this to my Amazon Wish List not long after you mentioned the author previously. I think I need to order it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been wanting to read Oates for s long time. I must admit that I really like her politics. I had not heard much about this book. It sounds very good and very creative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be so curious to read your reviews of her books...when you get around to it!

      Delete
  3. I've read a few of Oates' books, as you say in no particular order, but not this one. I salute you for your ambition to read them all in order. A worthy project for any constant reader.

    ReplyDelete
  4. never had the (pleasure?)... i've been stuck in the pre-21st C for a while now... if i ever escape, tho...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can stay in our respective centuries and just holler to each other back and forth!

      Delete
  5. It's hard to believe this is her very first book! Like trying to find a needle amid a haystack. The first thing I read by JCO was a short story in school from a collection ... that was chilling. And now someday I'll have to figure out what the title of that story was ... Was it: Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been or perhaps something else ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That story gets taught in schools all the time. Somehow it never came across my desk or my eyes. But chilling is what she does, so well.

      Delete
  6. I'm adding this to my TBR. It sounds like something I'd enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do. It is pretty dark, just saying.

      Delete
  7. I also keep saying I want to read more by this offer but, it just hasn't happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the feeling! About other authors but still.

      Delete
  8. I've not heard of this particular novel by JCO... But she is so prolific though... It's incredible.

    I've read 2 of her books... One of which I didn't like at all as it was too dark! I did enjoy her nonfiction book about writing though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh boy, she can get so dark and that can be depressing if you are not in a good frame of mind. Which of the two novels did you like better?

      Delete
  9. You know how much I love JCO, so I will definitely have to find this book.

    ReplyDelete