Saturday, October 26, 2019

BLOOD LURE


Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org

Blood Lure, Nevada Barr, G P Putnam's Sons, 2001, 320 pp
 
The day I got home from our trip to Lassen Volcanic National Park, I opened Nevada Barr's ninth book in her National Park mystery series. In a way, it helped me preserve the wonder of being in wild spaces away from the madness of civilization.
 
Blood Lure take place in Glacier National Park in Montana, my favorite park of them all. Of course the madness of civilization does manage to invade the parks along with the humans who visit them. Another madness defies Anna Pigeon, the park ranger whose detective skills feature in these books. Grizzly bears!

Anna was sent to Glacier for training in the study of bears. She trains with Joan Rand, an experienced bear researcher and a much more trusting soul than Anna.

While they are in the back country performing research activities, a grizzly attacks their campsite. The teenage boy working as an assistant to Joan goes missing and a camper who turns out to be the boy's stepmother is found dead of a broken neck with the flesh of her face cut away.

Anna is called upon by the Chief Ranger to help with the investigation. As usual, she is the most competent and must solve what appears to be a family psychological puzzle as well as find the guilty bear.

I think this is my favorite so far, but I may have said that about her last book. Anna is almost supernatural in her daring and life threatening investigation. Or does the strange young man she encounters have special powers? Or is it the bear?

Great bloodcurdling read!

17 comments:

  1. i've heard that Ms. Barr writes exciting books but i'm more comfortable with uncurdled blood haha... still, it's nice to know the name of park ranger authors in case i'm ever stuck in an elevator with a grizzly (who knows: pretty strange things happening nowadays...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the most entertaining comment I have had here in a while!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like another great read. I'm glad you are enjoying this series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sufficiently intriguing. Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read all of her books, been a devoted fan through the years, and I know I read this one even though I find it hard to remember the details now. They all sort of blend together after a while. But I know I loved it because I've loved them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad to be following in your footsteps!

      Delete
  5. Yeah I'd like to read this one for the bear parts & Glacier scenery. We live a few hours away. Blood Lure sounds like just the thing for a quick pace read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked up your city on a map of Canada and you are close for sure. I imagine you have visited the park. Barr's books are definitely quick paced.

      Delete
  6. This sounds both interesting and different. I assume that the best was framed:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find every one of her books different, due in part to the locations.

      Delete
  7. This sounds like a great read for this time of the year! I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you mention it, it was!!

      Delete
  8. This one sounds like a perfect read for this time of the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is and I find all of Nevada Barr's books good for any time of year!

      Delete
  9. Great review! One of my next projects is to FINALLY start this series

    ReplyDelete