Monday, October 07, 2019

OUR TRIP TO LASSEN VOLCANIC NATIONAL PARK







As I mentioned last week, I have wanted to go to Lassen ever since reading Nevada Barr's mystery Firestorm. On Sunday, September 29, we got up at 5 am and were on the road by 6:30. Most of the 8 hour drive from Los Angeles to Lassen is on I5, the interstate that runs from the California/Mexican border at Tijuana to the Canadian border at Vancouver. We like to stop, stretch and change drivers often so we made it to Mineral, CA in about 10 hours.

Our first stop in the area was Highlands Ranch Resort. We did not get rooms there but had heard about their excellent restaurant. So after a leisurely happy hour at the bar with its great bar menu we headed to our more economical cabin. By then it was close to dark and the predicted storm of rain mixed with snow had begun.

I loved that our front porch was tucked behind two huge pine trees. We had a kitchen, small living room, bedroom and bath. Once we got the heater going we were cosy under lots of blankets because it rained and snowed all night.
 
We woke to a wonderland of snow on trees and the ground though the roads in the area were cleared. But when we arrived at the park we learned that the road through the park was closed. We walked up the road as far as we could, adjusting to the altitude of 5000 feet! But we could see Lassen Peak where the last eruption of its volcano was in 1913. It was cold and I was bundled!
 

 
We spent the rest of the day studying the exhibits in the Visitor Center and driving around the Lassen National Forest which surrounds the park, enjoying a picnic by a lake, and another great dinner at Highlands Ranch.
 
On Tuesday morning the 29 mile road through the park was open! Some of the trails we had picked out to hike were still covered with snow, some were too steep for me, but we walked along a creek, then hiked to and around Summit Lake. I lagged along while Greg went ahead and then came back to fetch me. I loved seeing chipmunks, birds, snow cascading down from the trees as the sun warmed the area and spotting animal tracks.
 
 
By the end of the afternoon we had driven the entire road and then drove back to the entrance. Amazing how much different things looked when going in the opposite direction!
 
 


 


 
The rocks in the foreground of this last photo are from the 1913 eruption! That area is called Chaos Crags.
 
After another 10 hours on the road on Wednesday we were home. All that driving was so worth it!! The next day I started another Nevada Barr mystery, Blood Lure, set in Glacier National Park. Thanks to our trip I could just feel the atmosphere, the unique combination of wilderness and human care that keeps our National Parks protected and gives us a chance to experience a bit of what our country was like before we made it into what it is now. 
 
I can't recommend those books enough for giving the feel of the parks, the experience of what park rangers go through to keep us safe while also protecting the parks from human wrongdoing. If you can get to any of the many American National Parks it is the most wonderful adventure, even for weaklings like me, and the most soul reviving, nature appreciating thing I have found. We met a couple guys who had been off-trail for four days and had not even known the road was closed until we connected at Summit Lake! 

I wonder where we will go next year.
 
 

23 comments:

  1. What a *beautiful* place! Magical!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are so fortunate to have these parks. Do you have anything like that in Great Britain?

      Delete
  2. Your pictures remind me of our autumn trip to Rocky Mountain National Park a few years ago. We went in early October and the night that we arrived, they had one of the earliest snowfalls they had had in years. Eighteen inches of snow fell! Waking up to that the next morning was truly magical for us, coming from our hot and humid home. Your trip sounds wonderful. Any time spent in the national treasures that are our national parks is time well spent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your trip to Rocky Mountain National Park. I have been to the Grand Tetons and to the Grand Canyon once on a day trip. I would like to spend some days in the Rocky Mountain Park. Even when I lived in New Jersey and Michigan, waking up after a snow fall was always magical.

      Delete
  3. sounds like a fine time indeed! it's a geologically interesting area for vulcanic research: lots of basalt and andesite and some of the rarer lavas... and you got to hike around: wonderful pictures, too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned much I did not know before about volcanoes in the West. The visitor center was one of the best I have seen. Then to go see the results in the park was awesome. Glad you liked the pictures. My husband is the photographer in the family.

      Delete
  4. It looks like you had a great trip. Lassen seems like a place that I would really like. My wife and I love to hike. That cabin is very neat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hiking at Lassen is great and as usual in a National Park, there are trails for all levels. We loved our cabin!

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous pictures and it sounds like a lovely time as well. Yes, Nevada Barr does "park" mysteries so well. I need to start her latest, What Rose Forgot, soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diane. I still have 10 more Anna Pigeon books to enjoy but I will get to What Rose Forgot eventually.

      Delete
  6. Looks like you had a lovely visit... Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful park. I will talk my husband into going into Lassen / after all he's a geologic engineer. He must! Your report is wonderful and the cute little cabin, a must. I'm interested in reading the Glacier mystery since we live not too too far from there and have been to that park quite a few times. Gorgeous. You might like Lake McDonald Lodge in Glacier Park.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, he will love it there! Glad you liked my report. I want to revisit Glacier. My first and only time there was in 1969 but I will never forget it. What a magical place. Thanks for the tip.

      Delete
  8. Thats BEAUTIFUL! Here I am in the flat, rainy, kinda boring Netherlands....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, flat and rainy sounds so boring. But you went to Bosnia this summer, right?

      Delete
    2. Yes, I love exploring. Just an hour drive from the Netherlands are Belgium and Germany, those countries have beautiful nature!

      Delete
  9. How wonderful, Judy. Love your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy you liked my little travelogue.

      Delete
  10. Oh Judy it looks absolutely idyllic and how wonderful to be snuggled up in that little cabin! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely pics! The sightseeing along that highway must be splendid. Thank goodness the road was opened and you could explore the park at leisure. I would love to visit Yellowstone and Yosemite someday, and perhaps Banff National Park in Canada too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have been doing a National Park visit each year for a while now. It is the best remedy I have found for recovering from the madness of our current world. Any park you could visit would be worth the time and effort to do so.

      Delete