Wednesday, May 06, 2020

THOSE WHO LOVE & A PEOPLE'S HISTORY OF THE UNITED STATES






Those Who Love, A Biographical Novel of Abigail and John Adams, Irving Stone, Doubleday & Company, 1965, 647 pp
 
 
Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org
 
A People's History of the United States, Howard Zinn, Harper & Row, 2015, 688 pp
 
 
 

Today I have two related reviews for you, because the first book led me to the next. I am ranting and I warn you that these are not cheerful reviews.

Those Who Love was the #6 bestseller of 1965 and took me eight days to read. Though it has a slant, Irving Stone did give a picture of the dreams and ideals of this couple as English settlers in Massachusetts. John Adams's dedication to create a balanced government of three branches that would ensure a true democracy was based on deep study of England and the history of other countries. He was trained as a lawyer, he put his wife through much hardship, she was a strong and understanding companion. He became the second President of the new nation, after George Washington, and already the Bill of Rights and the Constitution, on which he worked tirelessly with the Founding Fathers, was cracking at the seams.

The problem was they did not address all the issues. Only men who owned a certain amount of property could vote. The Adamses were not rich, they probably only squeaked by property-wise. They were not in favor of slavery but to get all the colonies to agree on the Constitution, compromise was in order. The rights of Native Americans, slaves, women and the workers of the new country upon whose shoulders the edifice stood, were left out.

I suppose that this is the trouble with a certain kind of idealist. They do not see or understand the 99% of humanity who do most of the work. To understand more about how we got to today, in the middle of a pandemic with a Federal government and a complete idiot of a President who appear to have no idea what they are doing, I decided to read the Howard Zinn book. In fact, I learned that John Adams was up against more than he knew.

I read A People's History of the United States by taking one chapter a day. It took me 25 days and some of it was a slog. He is not the greatest writer.

He does, however, tell the story of the forming and building of the American Empire from a different slant than Irving Stone; also a different slant than kids in school used to get in their American history studies.

In every chapter he contrasts the unrelenting drive of the monied class for expansion, growth, progress and more wealth with the realities of the lower classes. The crimes of our country are really no different than the crimes of any empire building country throughout history.

From reading historical fiction and also the Will Durant history books, I have been aware of what gets done when a nation has that drive towards power and aligns government with finance to achieve those aims. Since I was raised and educated to see America as the best and greatest country in the world, I don't think I ever until now truly confronted what my country has wrought to create that reputation. (I am also aware that not everyone would agree with what I am saying here.)

The other main point of Zinn's book is that the oppressed, be they Native Americans, women, Blacks, workers, immigrants or the people of other countries we have stolen land from or filled with our military bases or plundered for natural resources, will always tend to fight back. It might be inspiring to think that way, well actually it is. I, however, was left with the feeling that capitalism always wins, that our government is still allied with business and the rich, as it has been from its founding.

Perhaps because as I read the book, we were dealing with a pandemic that seemed to be worse here than in other places in the world, that was flattening but not lessening, I could not escape the idea that this is part of our payback, that we are hated by the people we have abused (called terrorism), that we have damaged the world almost to the breaking point (called climate change) and that if my fairly comfortable, deluded and ineffectual middle class goes on this way, we deserve everything that we have coming. I don't feel completely hopeless. I feel mostly enraged.

Sorry to be a downer. I advise reading Zinn's book, if you haven't, if for nothing else than to understand the actual mechanisms of power, money, the military and our politics. Mechanisms that keep us placated and unaware while the military/industrial complex and the bankers continue on their destructive path. He does a good job delineating how that works. I have wondered for a long time how those in power think that money will protect them if the world goes down.

So, I leave you with yet another quote from a Joni Mitchell song: "Who you gonna get to do the dirty work, when all the slaves are free?" The song is "Passion Play" from her 1991 album, Night Ride Home. You can find it on YouTube.

16 comments:

  1. Yeah, after your reviews, I don't think these would be a fit for me....

    ReplyDelete
  2. i haven't read these either, altho i've read some of Stone's other books... but i don't need to, as i found out many moons ago that money and power run everything and the humans who utilize those tools always abuse them without exception... the only conclusion i've been able to draw is that humanity is a tribal species and regardless of so-called "intelligence". will behave in predictable, stupid, and savage ways... depressing, i know, but en masse it seems to be true... individuals are what are exceptional, and illustrate what we all wish would become the norm: kindness and consideration for all, and equal access to the good things of life without destroying the planet... hard to maintain balance in the face of reality, i know, but necessary for one's own mental health... yay, fiction of all sorts!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your words of wisdom. You talked me down a bit. I completely agree with you about individuals.

      Delete
  3. America is a strange country and separating the Myth from the Reality anywhere is often a painful experience. It is said that it's easier to conceive of the end of the world than the end of Capitalism. That's because its entwined itself so much in how we see the world. Fish can't imagine that they swim in water. It's the same with out. We just need to start paying more attention to the man behind the curtain.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are a strange country, containing multitudes. Seeing the world for what it is, as well as the people in it, is why we read, right?

      Delete
  4. Great commentary. I am glad that you reviewed these books.

    When I first read People’s History I loved it. I also saw Zinn speak back in the 1990s. I remember him being a great orator.

    But, as someone who is considers myself a left liberal, I have I have become critical of the type of leftism that Zinn advocates here. The right wing conception of an America that can do no wrong that pervades some quarters is inaccurate and harmful. Trumpism is the result of everything wrong in America. But it seems that what folks like Zinn seem to miss, is the enormous positive liberal trends that run through American history. Some of these trends were unique. Folks also seem to mss the fact that almost every society in the past, not just American, was oppressive, racist, violent and embodied all sorts of ills that would appall us. John Adams and his ideas are a good example. He helped create a system that was oppressive to non - whites and women. It was also genocidal. These horrible things were common throughout human societies of the time. But the democratic system that Adams helped to create embodied liberal values that were unique. These values evolved over time and helped improve the human condition, for all people. This is why I talk about liberalism so much. I think that it is perhaps the most important trend in human history.

    I think that we do have to talk about the terrible and oppressive things of the past, but we also have to talk about the positive, liberal things.

    I will just add that the growth of liberalism has not been confined to America. But that I think that we should champion it wherever we find it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brian. I think we are pretty much on the same page, though you may have more of a positive outlook than I do these days. I have been around for a long time-:) What is good is to discuss these things and try to understand them.

      Delete
  5. We've owned the Zinn book for many years, probably since it came out, but I've never read it. Have you watched the HBO series, "John Adams," based on David McCullough's book by that name? Adams is played by Paul Giamatti and Abigail by Laura Linney. The rest of the cast is equally talented. It was really excellent and I ended up with quite a jaundiced view of Adams and full of admiration for his wife. Though Adams was (mostly) on the side of the angels, he wasn't a very likable fellow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not seen the HBO series, but from reading Stone's book, it sounds like they got John right: typical male if you ask me but he had good ideas for the big picture though he depended on Abigail for being the practical one.

      Delete
  6. Nice research reading here Judy. I have not read either ... but it seems Zinn's contributed to opening up views of people in history from different backgrounds -- the oppressed -- (starting in 1980 with his first edition) that are still being more explored today. It seems history is being more fully written these days ... and I'm sure we have many to thank for that. The more a society opens to other views ... the more change can take place .... and maybe even power ... hmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan! It was good to read Zinn in these times. A society open to other views is for sure a good thing.

      Delete
  7. I have gone back and forth so many times on whether or not to read Zinn's book. I will probably continue to do so for a while longer until it is actually in my hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, well it was in my hands (or close by) so the time was right. I sure learned a lot, but I had put it off for years. I have to thank you for inspiring me to read more history and non-fiction.

      Delete
    2. That's exactly what I have been doing, though I do not own a copy. I am glad I can inspire others to read more history and non-fiction, no one has ever told me that before, thank you <3

      Delete