Wednesday, June 24, 2020

THE POWER OF THE DOG


Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org

The Power of the Dog, Don Winslow, Alfred A Knopf, 2005, 542 pp
 
I have been intending to read Don Winslow for many years. Now I finally did and I am hooked.
 
The Power of the Dog is the first of his three books about Mexican drug cartels. If you are curious about this scourge of criminality your curiosity will be entirely rewarded. It is a fairly long book but I read it in a little over three days. Winslow can do propulsive, addictive plot with the best of them.

Art Keller, DEA agent, began with a loyal commitment to the US War of Drugs. His concurrent disillusionment with the agency and obsession with taking out the key family in Mexico's drug empire contribute equally to the demise of his marriage and his success in the mission he sets for himself.

Just as in real life, the development, the evolution from pot to heroin to cocaine to crack is complex, driven by greed for wealth and power. The Power of the Dog could have been just another thriller about organized crime. In addition to his serious writing chops though, Winslow manages to convey the intricate intersections between the criminals, the law, and the citizens who dance around each other.

He shows us the violence that is as big a part of life as the hopes and dreams of mankind. I was impressed and left with much to ponder.

14 comments:

  1. Sounds violent ... but seems like he knows the trade and all its connections. I have not read Winslow yet. The drug cartels seem pretty scary ... and appear as powerful as ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad this one hooked you. I don't think it would be for me however, lately I've read several reviews for books by him and, I don't think he has any recent release either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His latest release is a collection of stories called Broken. My husband read it recently and liked it. He has read quite a few of Winslow's books. My plan is to finish the trilogy; the final book came out in 2019, called The Border.

      Delete
  3. I have not read Winslow, but he sounds like a writer that I might enjoy. I'm putting him on my list and maybe I'll give him a try later in the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would. These books about the War on Drugs and the cartels in Mexico are quite informative as to the scene there and though the series began in 2005, the final one was just published last year, so timely indeed.

      Delete
  4. He's been on my 'Watch List' for a while now. One day I'll read him I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what happened to me. One day I read him. Now I know!

      Delete
  5. Love the sound of this one. I like that you felt this was not just a thriller but much much more. That's always a win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I divide thrillers into two categories: those which just do twisty turny things with unreliable narrators and ones that show the underlying social and political causes for what is happening. This one was the second kind and the kind I like.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a great read! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a subject that is not really in my range, fiction or non-fiction, though I am glad you enjoyed it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But don't you have drugs in your city? It's ok though, I will read them and report.

      Delete