Monday, May 05, 2014

DIVERGENT






Divergent, Veronica Roth, Katherine Tegen Books, 2011, 487 pp


THE SUNDAY FAMILY READ
 
 
 
The world scarcely needs another review of Divergent. There are over 71,000 on Goodreads alone. I read it because I sent a copy to my granddaughter, at her request, and I was curious. Now I see why it is such a hit with teens.

All the elements of great storytelling are there and handled well. The characters, the world building, and especially the pace. I was never bored and always wanted to be reading it. 

Veronica Roth stole fearlessly and proudly from Ender's Game, The Giver, and probably other classics I have yet to read. I loved that the main character was a strong, daring, and principled female. Beatrice Prior kicks ass while never losing touch with her heart.

I kept thinking about the tendency of humans to divide societies into castes. In this brave new world where we do our best to raise and educate the upcoming generation, Divergent is possibly an important book for all the generations to read. Fortunately it is also great fun.


(Divergent is available in paperback on the shelf at Once Upon A Time Bookstore.)

No comments:

Post a Comment