Saturday, March 14, 2020

THE SYSTEM OF THE WORLD



Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org


The System of the World, Volume Three of the Baroque Cycle, Neal Stephenson, William Morrow, 2004, 886 pp


Last spring, Neal Stephenson's latest novel, Fall, or, Dodge in Hell was released. I bought the hardcover right away ( I always buy his books), but it sat on the shelf. 

I am a committed fan of this author. I read Snow Crash, his third book, in 2004 and was impressed! 

Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org

Great characters, exciting plot. Since I had not yet read William Gibson, I thought it was he who had invented cyber-punk. Actually, as it turns out, they both did. In 1984!

I went on to read The Diamond Age and Cryptonomicon. Always lagging a decade behind. Both were amazing.

Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org

Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org
 
In 2008, Books Expo America was held in Los Angeles. I got to meet Neal in person. He is a tiny, short, rail thin man with a beard, an elf! I picked up an ARC of Anathem, released 9/2008. He signed my copy. He seemed quite the introvert who practiced social distancing as a life style though he has always kept a strong web presence.
 
I have still not read Anathem, but was inspired by meeting him and began his Baroque Cycle. I read Quicksilver and was exhilarated to find descendants of Cryptonomicon characters Jack Shaftoe and Daniel Waterhouse, not to mention Enoch Root, back in the late 1600s. Also I met my favorite female character ever, Eliza of Qwghlm.

Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org

If you have not read these books, I may have lost you by now. If you have, I hope you are reliving the wonder of it all.

The Baroque Cycle consists of three volumes, each of which is well over 800 pages. Set in the late 1600s and early 1700s in England, France and all over the known world in those times, the books trace the transformation of Europe away from the Dark Ages and into rational, scientific systems of government and finance.

That might sound ponderous and boring. It is not! The Thirty Years War, the discovery of calculus by Isaac Newton and Gotfried Leibniz, the effects of alchemy on science, the explosion of gold and slavery due to the expansion of the New World, and more, are given the Alexander Dumas (Count of Monte Cristo) treatment. 

A mind boggling cast of characters engage in unlimited adventures: Kings and Queens, Dukes and Lords, pirates, Royal Society geeks and The King of the Vagabonds, Jack Shaftoe fill the pages. By the end of the three books the system we now spend time navigating and fighting, that is Banking, has been born.

As I finished my reading year of 2019, feeling like I had run and won a marathon by reading 156 books, I caught my breath and determined to read in 2020 as many as I could of the long, I mean really long, books I had been putting off. Forget quantity. Read those tomes.

So, in January I reread Quicksilver. I did love it the first time but did not think I had entirely understood it. I have to thank the late Dorothy Dunnett and the two of her intricate historical novels I read not too long ago (The Game of Kings and Queen's Play), for showing me how to read such things. In fact, Neal acknowledges her as an influence.

In February, I reread the second book of the Baroque Cycle, The Confusion, about which I recalled nothing but feeling confused after reading it in 2012. I am pretty sure I assimilated it this time.

Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org

My conclusion after the second reading: Many people these days think or worry that the world is getting worse. I think human beings on Earth have always led a mostly insane course, with a few who work towards acquiring knowledge as a means of creating a just civilization. What we see going on now is still following both of those trajectories.

This month I read, for the first time, the third volume, The System of the World. I was for it ready now. All immersed in the history and the characters, I was dying to find out if Newton and Liebniz would ever resolve their differences, if Jack and Eliza would ever make up, and what would become of the long suffering Daniel Waterhouse.

The conflicts and plots and mostly gruesome adventures of these characters continue in this volume without respite. Queen Anne of England (did you watch "The Favourite" last year?) meets her demise and is succeeded by King George I. Great Britain, Europe and the world will move forward and never be the same. The System of the World, as we now know it, has been born. 

As for Eliza, Jack, Newton and Leibniz, you will have to read the books yourself.

On this 14th day of March, 2020, as the world stays home and watches pantries empty, gets bored, tries to quell anxiety as best we can, I give you probably the longest post I have ever written. I hope it has helped fill some time for you.

If you have too much time on your hands, all of the Neal Stephenson books I have mentioned are available as ebooks and audio books, not to mention real books. You will be whisked away to times much different than ours and yet feel rather at home. The great conflict between reason and madness continues. 

I look forward to reading that signed copy of Anathem in April.



24 comments:

  1. this sounds like a terrific series... i thumbed through Cryptonomicon in the library and it didn't seem all that interesting, but your excellent post tells me i haven't tried hard enough so next week i'll check out quicksilver... tx for the enthusiastic review! (i get excited when someone else is excited about books: color me weird haha...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am excited that I got you excited!

      Delete
  2. I too have been VERY impressed with Mr Stephenson. I read 'Snow Crash' some years ago [Quite brilliant] and 'Diamond Age' too [ditto]. I have some of his others in various piles awaiting to be read. As I retire in TWO weeks [eeek] I'll have much more time to read his books - which are NEVER small - and won't have the chore of lugging them into work for weeks on end. As it looks like many people will be staying @ home over the coming months it's an ideal time to catch up on some BIG Book reading. I accept that challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on your retirement! Nothing since the freedoms of childhood has done more for my reading than having retired. So we readers can turn the pandemic into the BIG BOOK reading challenge.

      Delete
  3. Somehow I missed reading Stephenson. Back in the 1980s I read a lot of science fiction. I read Gibson and a few other lesser cyberpunk writers but mostly stuck with more traditional science fiction.

    The System of the World sounds right up my ally. I know that I talk about him a lot, but for a non - fiction, and enlightening view of all this I highly recommend Stephen Pinker. Both The Better Angels of Our Nature and Enlightenment Now in particular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will enjoy Neal Stephenson I am sure. Recommendation on Stephen Pinker noted.

      Delete
  4. It sounds like you're filling your days nicely. These tome reads & series are quite an accomplishment and apparently interesting fun as well. I have not heard of Neal before but it's terrific you got to meet him at Book Expo. I would like to finish a long book this year .... and perhaps it'll be The Nix and Pachinko this year. I hope so. After Goldfinch, I'm liking long reads better than I once did ! Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought both The Nix and Pachinko were excellent long novels. Enjoy! So far we are both well and appreciating more than ever our wonderful home.

      Delete
  5. I have not read any of Neal Stephenson's books although his Reamde has forever been very high up on my to-read list AND my brother loves his books. I know, I know, I should read them and I will. Many of Stephenson's books are on my to-read list and I'd like to read them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent, Athira. I am sure you will read them eventually. The new book is supposed to be a sequel to Reamede!

      Delete
  6. I confess I have not read Stephenson, but he sounds like an author I would enjoy. I'm currently reading Hilary Mantel's The Mirror and the Light very slowly. That and the garden will keep me busy for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would enjoy him, Dorothy. I am glad to know you are reading The Mirror and the Light. I won't be getting to that right away but await your review whenever you are ready.

      Delete
  7. I have not heard of him util now, but you did not lose me and I read the whole post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am laughing out loud. So glad I did not lose you, so glad you read the whole post!

      Delete
  8. I totally agree with you, especially this chapter:
    "My conclusion after the second reading: Many people these days think or worry that the world is getting worse. I think human beings on Earth have always led a mostly insane course, with a few who work towards acquiring knowledge as a means of creating a just civilization. What we see going on now is still following both of those trajectories."

    I have "Anathem" on my TBR shelf (among hundreds of others, as you probably know. One day, I will tackle it.

    Until then, stay safe and stay sane (I have no doubt about the last one ...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments, Marianne. I feel fairly safe due to the actions/non-actions I have taken. I appreciate your confidence in my sanity though it does feel challenged at least for a few minutes each day. Stay safe and sane yourself!

      Delete
    2. And I finally read Anathem and loved it. Which one of Neal Stephenson's book should I read next???

      Delete
    3. Yes, I saw your review today! I would advise/recommend Cryptonomicon next.

      Delete
  9. I hope you're staying safe! I have to agree with you that I think mankind has always walked a pretty crazy path, I hope one day that will change but history always repeats itself, sadly. Though these do sound good! Our library is closed here so I have no way to get new books (overdrive, the library app is messing up too) and I won't break my book buying ban!!!! But I will add these to my ever growing TBR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie, I am staying so safe! I am privileged to be able to and tell myself that at least I am doing some service by not being out there potentially spreading it around. My libraries are closed too. I have not tried the ebook services lately and anyway I have plenty of books at home. I hope you are staying safe, that you and your daughter and your partner are doing ok.

      Delete
  10. Hi Judy, thanks for providing us all with good books, now that the country over here is on lock down, I indeed have quite some time on my hands... How are you doing in these uncertain times?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is a good time to read though a bad time to live in. I am doing fine so far, mostly at home with my husband, reading and staying in touch with local friends by text and email. Stay well, Esther!

      Delete
  11. 2nd blog post on Stephenson I read today. It must be a sign, I keep wanting to read him

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just go ahead and do so. You will love it!

      Delete