Thursday, January 05, 2006

THE SISTERHOOD OF THE TRAVELING PANTS

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, Ann Brashares, Random House, Inc, 2001, 376 pp.

Now for some Young Adult entertainment. It was truly an entertaining book; not anything surprising, but I would have loved it when I was a teen. Four girls are best friends (I had a four girl group of friends all through highschool). Their mothers had met at an aerobics class in the 70s when each was pregnant and the girls had playdates every week until they went to preschool. Eventually the mothers drifted apart but the girls remained bonded.

The book is the story of their first summer apart and a pair of magic jeans which fit each girl perfectly despite their different body types. I found it very realistic that each girl had a different interest and outlook in life but could still be such good friends with each other. All summer they mail the pants to each other as each deals with love, extended family, growing up, boys, sex and how to get along out in the big wide world. Very cute, very real teenage girl emotions.

Some of the kids I teach are teenage girls and reading the book helped me remember the strong emotions and the sudden changes of mood of those years. I instantly had more empathy for these girls as I try to get them through math and history; things which have little or nothing to do with what they are actually interested in during these years. I haven't seen the movie and would like to hear from anyone who has and how or if you liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment