Monday, July 14, 2008

WORD OF THE DAY

I haven't posted one of these in a while so I have a huge backlog. Please play the game and leave a sentence in the comments.

accidie

Found on page 3 of Children of Men by P D James.

accidie may also be spelled accidia or acedia. In Webster's New World Third College Edition the definition is given after acedia.

It means spiritual sloth or apathy and is one of the seven deadly sins.

It is derived from the Greek akedia which comes from a-, not + kedos, care.

My sentence: In college she discovered drinking which often happened on Saturday nights and led her to accidie on Sunday mornings.

What is your sentence?

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:00 PM

    My sentence is:
    Having had religion shoved down his throat on a daily basis while growing up, it was no wonder that he developed accidie as an adult.

    By the way, I remember that I also looked that same word up when reading "Children of Men" years ago.

    From A to Z

    ReplyDelete