Saturday, January 02, 2010

JANUARY READING GROUP PICKS AND NEWS

Here is what is coming up for my reading groups in January.


Date: Tuesday, January 12; 7:30 pm
Adult Fiction Reading Group
Location: Once Upon A Time Bookstore, Montrose, CA
Discussing The Madonnas of Leningrad, by Debra Dean
New members welcome.





Date: Thursday, January 21; 7:30 pm
Sunland/Tujunga One Book At A Time Group
Location: Mi Casita Restaurant, Sunland, CA
For reservations contact: Lisa
Discussing: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, by Steig Larsson





Date: Monday, January 25; 7:00 pm
Location: Portrait of a Bookstore, Toluca Lake, CA
Discussing: The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, by David Wroblewski
(Note: New members must attend the meeting on Monday, January 11)






Date: Wednesday, January 27, 8:30 AM!
Mystery Book Club with tea and scones served
Location: Once Upon A Time Bookstore, Montrose, CA
Discussing: Winter Study, by Nevada Barr
New members welcome.





Date: Wednesday, January 27; 7:30 pm
Bookie Babes
Location: Barnes & Noble Bookstore, Burbank, CA
Discussing: The Elegance of the Hedgehog, by Muriel Barbery
New members welcome.
(For some reason, Blogger will not let me add the image for this one.)


Year end Reading Group Favorites

Some of my groups vote at the end of the year for our favorite read of the year. Here are the results:

Once Upon A Time Adult Reading Group voted almost unanimously for These Is My Words by Nancy Turner as our best book read in 2009.

One Book At A Time, to the best of my memory, chose Beneath a Marble Sky by John Shors, but I did not write it down and there was some serious partying going on, so I could be wrong.

Bookie Babes felt that People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks was the best book we read this year.

If you belong to one or more reading groups, let us know what you are reading in January.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:39 PM

    Hi Judy: No, that wasn't one of our choices. I think The Reader, and mabye Paradise or one other,I'll check, but I'm pretty sure The Reader was one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lisa. Please let us know what book we decided on as our favorite. Those magaritas were killer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:41 AM

    You Know, I looked and we had two or three choices but I didn't write them down. My recollection is The Reader was in the top three, perhaps number 1. Beneath may have been in there. I also liked Paradise, and the Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night. I think you can fairly say that The Reader was one of our favorites. Yes the Margaritas were killer, too much so.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete