Saturday, February 01, 2020

BOOKS READ IN JANUARY


I had a great month reading long books (two were over 900 pages) as well as reading books I wanted to read without worrying about how many. I got back to my writing as planned and have written most of the rough draft of my next chapter. I also finished reading the books for my 1964 list and got to the first bestseller of the 1965 list. Can you guess which one that was? For some reason I read mostly historical fiction. Was the present too much to deal with in January? You bet!

Stats: 8 books read. 8 fiction. 6 by women. 6 historical fiction. 1 magic. 2 rereads: Quicksilver and The Night Circus

Countries I visited: USA, Great Britain, France, Israel.

I have read all of these authors before so no new ones. 

Favorites: The Source and The Night Circus
Least favorite: The Great Alone

Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org

Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org

Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org

Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org

Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org

Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org

Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org

Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org

I have not been much of a rereader in my adult years but I had never finished Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle trilogy so I went back to the beginning with Quicksilver. Perhaps reading two long historical novels by Dorothy Dunnett had an influence because I got much more from Quicksilver than I did on the first read. 

I was sure I would not reread The Night Circus (it was for a reading group) but wow, I loved it even more than I did the first time!

Have you read any of the books I did? What were your best reads last month?




26 comments:

  1. Of these, The Source must be from '65 right? I hadn't heard of that Michener novel before but it sounds pretty intriguing. I haven't read any of these yet but I should try The Night Circus. Also want to read A Single Thread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan! You are a multiple winner. Right guess and first commenter!! Yes, The Source gave me such a full understanding of the three major world religions, how they relate and how intertwined each is with the history of the Middle East and the Western world. I think The Night Circus would be a good one to curl up with your book assistant under a blanket on cold February nights.

      Delete
    2. Ha! Yes. the book assistant would like the blanket & perhaps The Night Circus. Perhaps I should read The Source to get more of an understanding of these world religions ... and the Middle East. My knowledge is limited on both.

      Delete
  2. The only one of these that I have read so far is The Source long, long ago, but I hope to read A Single Thread soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your answers, Dorothy. I hope you enjoy A Single Thread.

      Delete
  3. The only one of these that I have read so far is The Source long, long ago, but I hope to read A Single Thread soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks to be a decent list of books. I have not read James Michener in a long time.

    I also do not do a lot of reading. I think that it is a great thing to do and I should do more of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brian, I think you do quite a bit of reading but you are right it is a great thing and the more one does the more great it is.

      Delete
  5. I rarely will reread a book unless it's for my book group. I recall reading the Night Circus when it first came out but, it wasn't a favorite. I listened to The Great Alone on several walks and thought it was a good way to keep me motivated. I did enjoy it overall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine walking to The Great Alone. It had a good pace. The Night Circus did get widely divergent reactions. I will see what my reading group thought of it when we meet tonight.

      Delete
  6. I can totally understand wanting to lose yourself in historical fiction. Looks like you did some great reading, especially so many long books, and well done for getting back to your writing. Happy reading in February! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for understanding, Jessica! Yes, may February be a happy reading month for us both.

      Delete
  7. I need to read The Night Circus already! Everyone loves it and it's been on my TBR since it came out. I know I'm missing a great story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am just getting excited to think of you reading it!

      Delete
  8. I used to love rereading but don't do much of it now. I enjoyed The Night Circus, but probably not enough to want to read it again. I'm glad you loved it even more the second time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I am just getting old and don't remember books as much as I used to-:)

      Delete
  9. I loved The Night Circus but it's been years since I read it. I wonder if I'll love it as much even now. I do want to read her new book. I have not any of Neal Stephenson's books but I have pretty much every one of his books on my TBR. Not sure what I'm waiting for...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, Athira! So nice to have you visit my blog. How did you find me?
      I found The Night Circus even more meaningful and wonderful the second time around. I too want to read her new book. Neal Stephenson is a favorite of mine, though it does take some concentration to read him, he has so much to say. Which books do you have on your TBR? Now I will visit your blog,

      Delete
  10. wow, what a month!
    Stephenson keeps tempting me...
    Happy reading and writing month of February!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it was! I wonder if you would find Stephenson too irreverent.

      Delete
  11. An excellent month! I haven't read any of these books... started The Great Alone, but decided it would be a dnf. Hope your February reading is off to a good start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, JoAnn. In my opinion you made the right decision about The Great Alone. I might have done the same but it was for a reading group. February is going great, so far!

      Delete
  12. I did not read any of the books you read this month, but you had a great reading month, seeing that list and scrolling through! Anything you're excited to read next month? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have some great books coming up. The Island of Sea Women by Lisa See and Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison are two of them.

      Delete
  13. I love the cover of The Butterfly Girls, is beautifully haunting, though I do not know what it is about. Maybe nothing haunting or tragic at all. Your variety is always impressive, well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That book is definitely haunting, tragic, and might not be for you since bad things happen to children.

      Delete