Saturday, February 22, 2020

SONG OF SOLOMON, THE ISLAND OF SEA WOMEN AND THE WATER DANCER



Today I have some actual reviews for you. I hope you still like my new method of mini-reviews. These are three of the best novels I have read lately.

Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org

I reread this for one of my reading groups. It is Toni Morrison's third novel and her first time writing from a male point of view.

Milkman, the main character, takes a long time to come of age. His parents had a marriage of deep conflicts and his mother nursed him for many years. Hence his nickname. When his parents each tell him their separate sides of the story, he goes off to find out the truth of his family roots. He is looking for reasons and he finds plenty.

In addition to getting a deeper understanding of the novel from my second reading, I got a renewed purpose to tell my own story. If someday my sons read it, at least they will know how it was for me and how their childhoods became so crazy. At the end, Milkman flies! 


Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org

In another reading group pick, Lisa See sets her latest novel on a Korean island and reveals the lives of women divers, called haenyeo, from 1938 to 2008. These women supported their families by reaping from the sea the marine creatures that fed them and brought in income.

She explores her favorite topic: friendship between women. She also gives a history lesson about Korea from the days of Japanese colonization through the Korean War and up to the 21st century.

The women lived a matrifocal life: they worked in the sea and in their own fields, having numerous children who were cared for by their husbands while they dived. They also suffered great loss as political changes on the island led to mass killings that included many of their children, husbands and friends.

Through her meticulous and voluminous research Lisa See does her usual excellent job of making a foreign culture come to life while delving into the deep griefs and guilt that left her main character almost psychologically destroyed. Yet this woman had strengths beyond anything I could even imagine.


Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org

My reading groups brought me the best books this month. The Water Dancer is truly amazing! I already knew Ta-Nehisi Coates to be a perceptive writer who can expose hard truths with equal parts fact and emotion. In his first work of fiction he tells the story of the early Abolition movement, the Underground Railroad, and Harriet Tubman, all through the eyes and voice of a slave in Virginia.

It, like Song of Solomon, is a coming of age tale as well as a treatise on how lost memories being recovered can change a man, a woman, a child, an entire people. The parallels between this novel, Toni Morrison's book and Colson Whitehead's The Underground Railroad, are of course many. 

Hiram Walker, son of his enslaved mother and his plantation master father, falls into a special power called Conduction. Harriet Tubman also had that power and helped Hiram develop his own. In doing so, he finds his history, his purpose and his strengths.

I had to pay close attention as I read. Hard to do because the story is so gripping and the writing so vivid that all I wanted to do was turn the pages as fast as I could. 

Have you read any great books lately? I can recommend each of the above if you have not already read them.

 



22 comments:

  1. these sound intimidating, but socially remedial, a good thing... Louis Tracy, The Wings of the Morning...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was not intimidated. I hope I did not make these books sound like they are intimidating. I looked up The Wings of the Morning. Should I expect a review soon?

      Delete
    2. as a matter of fact our computer exploded so i have to start over with a new blog... i'll let you know the new url if i ever figure out how to do it haha

      Delete
    3. How distressing. Good luck!

      Delete
  2. The books all look interesting and worth that read. I have not read Toni Morrison. I plan to read her soon though. I will may start with The Song of Solomon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be a good place to start with Morrison, Brian.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for reviewing these! I plan to get to them. Hope they inspired your own writing & it's great you are telling your story. I'm reading an interesting memoir now called Forty Autumns about Cold War Germany. An eye-opener.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! Thanks for reporting on what you are reading. I like reading that opens my eyes.

      Delete
  4. I have to say I do miss your longer reviews, but this is a good way to summarize several in one posting. I see other bloggers doing that also.

    I still haven't read Ta-Nehisi Coates. Maybe I'll get to him this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it makes me feel good that you miss my longer reviews. I may get back to a few of those soon but at least I caught up by writing shorter reviews and doing fewer posts. The best thing is having more writing time for my own book. Ta-Nehisi Coates is right up there with James Baldwin and Toni Morrison in my opinion. I hope you find him good.

      Delete
  5. All of these books are on my must-read list. I've had several opportunities to read The Water Dancer. I must have come across at least two copies at the library yesterday but for some reason, it feels a little intimidating or like you said, a book that requires close attention. Not that that's a bad thing, just requires me to be in a different mindset prepping for the read. Oh well, I guess I'll just pick it up, "try" a few pages, and see what goes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a bit apprehensive about the Water Dancer but it turned out to be a wonderful read. I hope it is for you too.

      Delete
  6. I loved The Island of Sea Women - I knew nothing about the haenyeo community so I found it fascinating. The other two books you've reviewed sound great too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Lisa See does not let us down. The Water Dancer is for sure an American story but I think you would enjoy the 19th century history in it.

      Delete
  7. I liked The Water Dancer very much, though I thought it was a bit dense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a bit "something" but I loved it anyway.

      Delete
  8. I miss your longer reviews, but am happy to read your more recent post/mini reviews.

    I haven't read any of the books from your review. However, I did grab the hardback edition of The Island of Sea Women from a Little Free Library last December in Atascadero, CA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try to fit in some longer reviews in the coming weeks. I think you will enjoy The Island of Sea Women when you get to it.

      Delete
  9. I am glad to see some mini-reviews from you! I miss your insights, but also look forward to reading the book you are writing as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for understanding that I can't do it all right now!

      Delete
  10. if you get a second, my new blog: mudpuddlesoup2.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know! I went, I read, I commented.

      Delete