Friday, June 26, 2020

A LONG PETAL OF THE SEA


Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org

A Long Petal of the Sea, Isabel Allende, Ballantine Books, 2020, 314 pp
 
For the third time this year I was once again immersed in the effects of the Spanish Civil War. The first was Serge Pey's The Treasure of the Spanish Civil War. The second was The Labyrinth of the Spirits by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. And now Isabel Allende has told another branch of the story. 
 
Through these novels I have finally gotten a better understanding of the causes of that war. I think the first time I read about it was in Hemingway's For Whom the Bell Tolls. When I read that in 2002, I did not understand why so many Left Wing people from the Americas and Europe became so passionate about the struggle. I am finally getting the picture.

A Long Petal of the Sea is quite simply a wonderful story. I think Allende is always at her best when writing historical fiction. Victor Dalmau was a young medic in the war. He and his brother's pregnant lover Roser, a gifted pianist, along with his mother are finally driven to escape from Spain. How many stories have I read about desperate journeys across the Pyrenees Mountains? Certainly a few. That border between Spain and France has hosted many refugees going in both directions, not to mention advancing and returning armies.

Victor Dalmau's mother does not make it, but Victor, Roser, and her baby do. They end up in Chile, thanks to Pablo Neruda who chartered a ship to bring 2000 refugees to his country. Though these people were not wanted there, Neruda was so beloved in Chile that he pulled it off.

Each chapter of the book begins with some lines from Neruda's poetry. In fact, Victor and Neruda become friends. The lives of Victor and Roser in Chile span decades, with numerous developments and adventures where politics and art are always intertwined, where the opposing forces of freedom and fascist tendencies battle.

Though it is such a long and involved tale I was never lost. Allende's sure hand with history and her deep but somehow lighthearted fascination with the power of love are the anchors. Definitely one of her most wonderful novels.

22 comments:

  1. The Spanish Civil War had such an influence upon history. It really did draw a little of folks into it.

    I have not read Allende. But I almost picked up one of her books this week. I plan to read her soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been learning how true that is, Brian. I think you may find Allende's humanist views to your liking.

      Delete
  2. I need to read Allende. I love the cover.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this book earlier this year and loved it. I'm delighted that you did, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read two books by Allende now (this one and The Japanese Lover) and I didn't really enjoy either of them, so I think she is just not the right author for me. I'm glad you love her books, though. I did learn a lot about the Spanish Civil War and the history of Chile from this book, so I liked that aspect of it at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry you did not find Allende to be the right author for you but I respect you for saying so. If we all liked the same authors, after all, who would read all the other authors?

      Delete
  5. I fell so deeply in love with House of the Spirits that I both want to read all of her books, and never read another. What if the experience of reading and re-reading House of the Spirits is somehow ruined by a different book of hers that I do not care for as much, or eclipses House of the Spirits?? Ah, the troubles that book dragons deal with...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a lovely read. Nice review as usual! Your review of A Long Petal of the Sea by Isabel Allende makes me want to read this novel, so another novel to add to my ever growing wishlist!

    Like you, I find myself reading books that are either about the same topic (in your case the Spanish Civil War) or have the same themes or by the same author in any given year.

    Glad you liked A Long Petal of the Sea by Isabel Allende and you gained a new perspective about the Spanish Civil War.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like a wonderful surprising chain of coincidences when our reading goes like that, don't you think?

      Delete
  7. i haven't read Allende either... is she Argentinian? maybe she knew Borges? i have some kind of probably false notion about that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chile. Relative of Salvador Allende. Author of The House of the Spirits and many other novels.

      Delete
    2. oh right; i should have known that, tx...

      Delete
  8. I love how you've read books from different perspectives when you like a subject and want to know more about it.

    I recently did that with The Nightingale and All The Light We Cannot See. It definitely adds a layer to the reading experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love doing this. It is why I read!

      Delete
  9. The Spanish Civil War is a ripe setting for novels. I like how this story revolves around Pablo Neruda's mission to get 2,000 Spanish refugees to Chile. I plan to get to it. Glad you are back reviewing more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the Pablo Neruda connection too. Yes, I am trying to do a few more reviews. Thank you for noticing!

      Delete
  10. All the reviews I've read on this one seem very positive. Glad that you enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete