Sunday, June 14, 2020

THE LABYRINTH OF THE SPIRITS



Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org

The Labyrinth of the Spirits, Carlos Ruiz Zafon, HarperCollins, 2018, 805 pp (translated from the Spanish by Lucia Graves)
 
I have now read all four books in the Cemetery of Forgotten Books series. Thanks to blogger friend Marianne in Germany at Let's Read, whose review of this book reminded me that I had never finished the series. This is the longest of the book but I did not mind. I wanted to stay with those characters for as long as I could.
 
In The Labyrinth of the Spirits, Zafon introduces a new character, Alicia. She is as badass as they come and works for Spain's secret police in Madrid. She wants out so her handler says if she does one more assignment, she can walk away. 
 
Of course the assignment is tough beyond any she has ever had and will test every strength she has. It leads her to Daniel Sempre (the central character in The Shadow of the Wind) and to Daniel's best friend Fermin, who we learn for the first time saved her life during the Spanish Civil War when she was nine years old. Her assignment is to find the former director of the Montjuic Castle prison, featured in the third book, The Prisoner of Heaven. In that prison were certain authors and the one who is still alive may hold the key to the mystery of that former director's recent disappearance. 
 
Alicia is a fascinating and complex character who puts most spies I have read about to shame and also loves to read. Spain is still under the autocratic rule of Franco meaning that crime and oppression wait at every turn.
 
By the end, every mystery in the Sempre family has been solved. The bad people get what is coming to them. Best of all Daniel finally finds out what really happened to his mother. As in every book, reading and literature and authors and bookstores and the librarian of The Cemetery of Forgotten Books play pivotal roles.

Should one read these books in order? Carlos Ruiz Zafon claims that is not necessary but I found that each book circles around to the previous ones, always expanding this wonderful tale. Many people read The Shadow of the Wind and then felt let down by The Angel's Game. I admit that was a dark and scary tale with no relief but now that I have read The Labyrinth of the Spirits, it makes complete sense why he had to write it as part of the series.

Here are my reviews of the first three books:

 
Have you read any of these books?



23 comments:

  1. This sounds very original and different. Post civil war Spain is seems to be a rare setting for a book. The plot also sounds innovative.

    I would only read a series in order. It would drive me crazy if I did not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brian, it is a wonderful series, especially in this time of the awareness of a growth of autocracy in our own land. And yes, I always read a series in order!

      Delete
  2. On my List... obviously.... [grin]

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not read any of these books, but I will, based on your glowing recommendation. In order, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good because once you read The Shadow of the Wind, you will be hooked!

      Delete
  4. Very good that you finished all of the series! I will start with No. 1 ... my husband loved The Shadow of the Wind years ago ... which I've heard is a favorite of many many .... I can already tell it will be perfect ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can already tell it will be perfect? My job here is done!

      Delete
  5. since i didn't get along with the first volume, maybe i can read the last 3? or not... maybe when i grow up the blood and gore will cease to be a problem... one lives in hope...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to have to tell you that blood and gore continue throughout. 20th century Spain was an unhappy place. It was not the first century for blood and gore in Spain. It has a long history of such.

      Delete
  6. I am unfamiliar with this series, aside from your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you decide to read the first book, I think you may become hooked.

      Delete
    2. And of course it is a series, so it isn't like I am only adding ONE book to my TBR...;)

      Delete
  7. I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOOOOVVEE Carlos Ruiz Zafon. I remember reading Shadow of the Wind for the first time when I was like.. 14. And I've read it 11 times since.
    I can't wait to continue the series and read all the other books as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to know another reader who loved The Shadow of the Wind. You will love the other books too.

      Delete
    2. Did you hear that Carlos Ruiz Zafon died yesterday? I feel so sad... :(

      Delete
    3. No! Sadness of all sadnesses. I was just talking to a friend yesterday and wondering what he would write next. For sure he is going to the just reward of a great writer.

      Delete
  8. This actually sounds really good! I love the cover too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! I hope you give these books a try.

      Delete
  9. Thank you so much for making me aware of this post, Judy. (Thanks also for mentioning my blog.)

    I was so sad to read that Carlos Ruiz Zafón passed away. I'll have to re-read all of his books then if I want to enjoy his writing again.

    Now I'll go and explore your other reviews about this brilliant series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Marianne. So sad, so sad. He did leave us a treasure of great books and rereading will be in order.

      Delete
  10. I have not read any of the four books though I've been eyeing Shadow of the Wind every time I pass by my bookshelves. After hearing of the author's death on Friday, I feel I should pick it up at least now.

    ReplyDelete