Sunday, March 27, 2011

TIME OF WONDER





Time of Wonder, Robert McCloskey, Viking Press, 1957, 63 pp

The Sunday Family Read


 Robert McCloskey won the Caldecott Award for this lovely portrayal in words and illustrations, of a family's summer in Maine. His most famous and beloved book was Make Way For Ducklings, which was set in Boston and won the Caldecott in 1942. He also wrote Blueberries for Sal which I remember from childhood. It made me want to go berry picking.

 I loved how the two sisters in Time of Wonder would go out by themselves in row boats and sail boats. Each illustration shows everything mentioned in the text. I read this just a few weeks after reading Olive Kitteridge and the two books together made me passionately interested in visiting Maine. It is one of the few states I have never visited. That is the power of books!


(All of the Robert McCloskey books mentioned in this review are available on the picture books shelves at Once Upon A Time Bookstore.)

No comments:

Post a Comment