Wednesday, August 24, 2011

LADY CHATTERLEY'S LOVER


Lady Chatterley's Lover, D H Lawrence, Penguin Classics (most recent edition, pub 2010), 1928 in Italy, 1959 in United States, 283 pp


Banned for over 30 years in Great Britain and the United States, Lawrence's novel about his sexual theories has become famous. Lady Chatterley, married to a man paralyzed physically and emotionally in World War I, falls in love with the gardener. They have a passionate affair.

The writing is not good, in my opinion, but all feminists thank the author for putting forth the idea that women should enjoy sex and have orgasms.

I reread this a few years ago for one of my reading groups. It sparked a lively discussion! The youngest member of the group wondered what all the fuss was about. The ban was lifted in the United States in 1959 and Lady Chatterley's Lover was the #5 bestseller in that year. I recall reading the book while on a babysitting job in the early 60s when I was a teenager trying to learn about sex.

When is the first time you read it?


(Lady Chatterley's Lover is available in various formats by order from Once Upon A Time Bookstore.)




3 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:02 PM

    Hi Judy: I haven't read it. But, given it's on the banned and most challenged book list, I should give it a whirl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so great to have you commenting again. Yes, I think you would find it interesting. I don't think you are afraid of a sexy book! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:44 PM

    NO, I could use a little vicarious sex-LOL

    ReplyDelete