Wednesday, August 29, 2012

UNBROKEN





Unbroken, Laura Hillenbrand, Random House Inc, 2010, 398 pp



Surely I don't need to relate any details on the contents of Unbroken. I think everyone in the world has read it; definitely every book club/reading group has. Well, finally one of my reading groups picked it and of course they all loved it.

Among other things it falls into a genre I have named "prison camp lit." I feel that having made it through Andersonville, I have earned divine dispensation and never again need to read about prisoners of war sitting in shit eating not enough rotten food, etc, etc.

I also felt emotionally manipulated by Hillenbrand's rendering of this man's life.

It was too long and repetitive. It was uneven. And maybe I am just a hopeless cynic, but I could not quite swallow the "facts' about the guy's life. Spoiler: I am happy for him that Jesus saved him.

PS: If you still feel that you or your children should join the military and go off to fight one of our endless array of wars, you should read Unbroken. If after reading it you still believe that war is a solution...


(Unbroken is available on the adult non-fiction shelves at Once Upon A Time Bookstore.)

No comments:

Post a Comment