Tuesday, May 02, 2017

BOOKS READ IN APRIL




How do all you bloggers get your monthly summary done right at the end of the month? I am usually still madly reading the final book of the month on the last day. I salute you!

Also, somehow I only got four of the April books reviews up on the blog. That would be the first four on the list. In fact, I fell into my way too customary ditch of putting off writing up the books. But I just could not stop reading because everything I read in April was so great. The reviews will come soon.

When I started the 1963 reading list in March, I made a hard and fast rule that I would read one book a week from that list, so I could get through it as promptly as possible. The rule has made for an interesting series of transitions from modern books to 54 years ago. I hope I am not boring you with all these old books but I recommend many of them if you haven't read them before. I have to admit that my top favorites do seem to be the recent releases though.

Stats: 10 books read. 10 fiction, 4 by women, 4 from the 1963 list of My Big Fat Reading Project. I have been reading more books written by men lately, though 3 out of my 5 favorites were by women. Stats are sort of interesting but I usually don't know what to make of them.

Favorites: To the Bright Edge of the World, A Book of American Martyrs, Scrapper, Grace, and Exit West. 
Least favorite: none.



12 comments:

  1. I put To the Bright Edge...on my wishlist. Looking forward to your humongous pile of reviews. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carmen! Oh the burden of my humongous pile!!

      Delete
  2. You have a great mix of books here. Even a little Salinger thrown in!! Quite a month. I continue on with my 5 books a month and it seems to be leisurely and doable to me. Onto May .... ! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was. The final Salinger for me. It is good to have a doable pace to one's reading. Mine is always somewhat frenetic!

      Delete
  3. You've had a great month of reading! I have a copy of To the Bright Edge of the World and am hoping to start it soon. I'm behind with my April reviews too but I'm sure we'll both catch up eventually!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did Helen. My husband is going to start To the Bright Edge soon too. Yes, we will catch up. I thought of doing the combination posts of short reviews as you have been doing. We will see.

      Delete
  4. Wow! That is really a great selection. I'm curious to discover your review on "Grace".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be here eventually. Probably next week. Wonderful novel!

      Delete
  5. I had a good month of reading in April, although I didn't finish as many as your impressive 10 books! My favourite read was Seven Stages by Geoffrey Trease. Happy reading in April!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for checking in Jessica. I think you read a lot for someone with a job and so many family gatherings!

      Delete
  6. Judy, I'm not sure why overtime I try to leave you a comment a get a weird bounce back message. I don't do Google+ - could that be why? I do read your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading my blog Diane. I didn't know about your commenting trouble and I am so glad you mentioned it. If you use the pull down arrow next to "Reply as" you can enter the URL of your blog and it should let your comments post. They do have to be approved by me, but I would always approve your comments. I hope that helps.

      Delete