Tuesday, August 19, 2014

AMERICANAH






Americanah, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Alfred A Knopf, 2013, 588 pp



I am so behind on writing up the books I have read lately and the task of getting caught up is almost overwhelming. The bookends of discomfort in my life: deadlines and backlogs. My solution is to write one short review a day.

I loved Americanah. It is a love story for our modern transient world. It is a look into the heart of a woman whom Roxanne Gay would call a bad feminist. It is one of the most intelligent pieces of writing about racism I have read. Ms Adichie is right up there with James Baldwin, Richard Wright and Toni Morrison on that topic.

If you are a Nigerian-born person and go to live in America, you are called an Americanah. If you are an American-born person and read novels set in African countries, could you be called an Africanah reader?

I highly recommend reading novels by authors who were born and raised in African countries. Honestly, the news media can only grasp so much.


(Americanah is currently available in paperback on the shelf at Once Upon A Time Bookstore. It is also available in other formats by order.

No comments:

Post a Comment