Saturday, August 01, 2020

BOOKS READ IN JULY






Happy first of August! I chose this image because it it about 100 degrees in my town today and that ocean looked nice and cool.

I had a great reading month in July. Somehow I finished 12 books. My solution to being behind on reviews is only to post reviews of the books I loved the most or found the most interesting. If you see one on the list here that you wish I would review, please let me know in the comments.

Stats: 12 books read. 11 fiction. 6 written by women. 1 sci fi. 1 thriller. 4 for My Big Fat Reading Project. 2 translated. 1 fantasy. 1 biography.

Authors new to me: Octavia Butler, Mark Guerin, Deb Olin Unferth, David Leeming.
 
Favorites: Dawn, Barn 8, The Starless Sea, James Baldwin biography, Oligarchy
Least favorite: The Man With the Golden Gun

Places I went: New Orleans, Boston, Pennsylvania, Iowa, Poland, France, Great Britain, Vietnam, Cuba, Caribbean, Off World.

Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org

Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org

Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org

Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org
 
Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org
 
Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org
 
Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org
 
 


Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org
 
Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org
 
Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org
 
Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org 

Have you read any of these books? How did you enjoy your reading in July?




27 comments:

  1. You obviously had a productive month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. pretty eclectic... what did you think of the Baldwin? i think he wrote an autobio which i've been planning on reading for fifty years or so... maybe next month...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the Baldwin biography was so well done. So respectful, so sensitive to who he was as an author, so perceptive about the kinds of strains he was under for his whole life. I will write a review soon and post it here. Basically most of Baldwin's writing, his novels, his essays and short stories, were autobiographical. Now I need to finish the books of his I have not yet read.

      Delete
  3. Great month Judy. I've only read Tortilla Curtain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many books this month. I haven't read any of them though I do have Kindred by Octavia E. Butler on my TBR list. And then, of course, I have read Primeval and other Times by Olga Tokarczuk. Looking forward to your review of Flights.

    Happy Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow what great travelling you did in your reading, Judy. I was mainly bogged down in Tudor England reading the beastie historical-fiction, Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel. Looking forward to some shorter, lighter reads in August! Take care and happy reading! 😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Yes, if you live in England and read about the Tudors, you have not traveled far except in time. Happy short, light reading in August, Jessica.

      Delete
  6. Hah! I read Don't Stop the Carnival about 1972.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good. It was the #1 bestseller of 1965.

      Delete
  7. You had a great month. I hope you have some A/C there. Luckily the beach has stayed cool ... and now I'm afraid to leave to go inland to the hottest temps tomorrow. The "Apple fire" is also a worry ... hmm. I'd love a review on the Baldwin biography. I finally watched the Baldwin documentary last night, Wow! That's a strong cup of coffee. I liked hearing him speak & his association with other thinkers of his day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we have central air in our house, thank the Lord. I need to look up the Apple fire, I don't have it located. I hope your parents are safe from that.
      I will definitely be reviewing the Baldwin biography. He was born on this day in 1924! The documentary is powerful stuff.

      Delete
  8. I wish we could have a chat about The Starless Sea. I loved it, although not as much as The Night Circus, but I came away feeling a little befuddled. The plot ended up not being as important to me as the mood she created. I would love to pick up a Star from a folded piece of paper, or grab a key from that garden, or swim in that honey.

    What did you think of Flights? I loved that, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved The Starless Sea as much as The Night Circus but in a different way. I will write about that soon. Flights I was not going to review because I am still not sure about it, but now two have asked for a review of that one. I guess I will be having a busy week! Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  9. A great reading month! I’ve got The Starless Sea on my TBR. It sounds so good and that cover is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carrie. The Starless Sea was so good!

      Delete
  10. And you had another big month of reading which I've learned in par for your course. I'm looking forward to your review of Flights. I think I may want to add it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dorothy, I will try to do Flights justice.

      Delete
  11. I have read and loved Moderato Cantabile. And the latest book by your first author, but not this book. Enjoy your month of August!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read Moderato Cantabile because you said you loved it. I will read Tokarczuk's latest soon.

      Delete
  12. What a wonderful slew of books, hope August is just as great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good! My reading is about to slow waaaaaaaay down - teacher work days started on August 4th :'(

      Delete
  13. Wow, you read a lot of books as usual. I have The Starless Sea in my 'tbr' pile. Glad you loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Starless Sea is a good one to read when you just want to get away from the so called real world and just drown yourself in magical stories!

      Delete