Saturday, February 06, 2021

THE DARKEST EVENING


 The Darkest Evening, Ann Cleeves, Minotaur Books, 2020, 299 pp

I read this mystery set in Northumberland for my Bookie Babes reading group. It is the ninth in a series featuring Detective Inspector Vera Stanhope. She is a delightful curmudgeon, middle-aged, competent, single and not thin. I did not feel hindered by not having read the earlier books in the series.

It was a great January read filled with snow and cold and icy roads back in the hills. A manor house surrounded by farms traps Vera's team and the inhabitants due to a blizzard. 

Vera's family home is the manor house, though because of her loser father, she is on the underdog side of the family. Lots of class issues as you would expect in Great Britain, though cell phones (with spotty reception) as well as some rowdy teens put the reader in the present.

A murder, a plucky toddler, questions about parentage and rocky marriages all give plenty of red herrings. I never did figure out who the murderer was until Vera did. I was entertained and not one thing bothered me.

I probably won't get into the earlier books, at least not right away, but it is good to know about if I'm looking for a new series to love.

Have you read Ann Cleeves?

25 comments:

  1. "Lots of class issues as you would expect in Great Britain..." LOL - Ain't that the truth.... [grin]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a wintery and snowy atmosphere. I love that cover.

    We have snow on the ground here on Long Island and we expect more tomorrow so wintery reads go with the local weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only snow we see in the Los Angeles area is on the distant mountain tops, but I remember plenty of snow from growing up in New Jersey and then living in Michigan. Wintry reads bring it all back.

      Delete
  3. i've heard of her but i've never indulged... you seem like you liked this pretty well so maybe i'll see if our shutdown library which passes out books like they were made in the 15th C. can spare one of them... tx...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not read her ... but I like reading snowy set stories when it's winter. Perfect for the mood.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Judy, this sounds really good and no, I've never read the author but wanted to. I am hesitant to start any new series books as I'm all out of order with Louise Penny series. I am happy to read that it did not matter with this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep telling myself I must finish the series I have already got going. Still, I keep an eye out for ones I might like.

      Delete
  6. I was really curious about your review for this one, because we discussed earlier about my little petpeeve of reading the other books first.

    I'm glad that you didn't feel hindered! I love how this book fits the current weather in The Netherlands. I keep commenting here and there about the weather, but we had like, real snow for the first time in maybe 10 years?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought The Netherlands always had snow in winter. How curious that it has been that long since you did.

      Delete
  7. I'm so glad you liked Vera. She really is one of my favorite characters in all of the fiction that I read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I could relate to Vera in so many ways. I will have to spend some more time with her eventually.

      Delete
  8. I haven't heard of this series but it does sound very atmospheric with plenty of character - both of which I love in mystery/detective books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She really does hit all my favorite things about mysteries and none of the things I find not interesting to me.

      Delete
  9. I have not read any of her books yet but I think I will give this series a try this year. Also, I can not stop reading her name as 'Anne of Cleves' because I am forever stuck in Tudor England, when I am not off in Plantagenet England.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice! A student of mine is also a fan of this author, I guess I really need to try her

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would not have read her yet, if not for my reading group, but I am glad I did.

      Delete
  11. I’m reading a lot of snowy books at the moment and this sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I noticed! It is a good mystery.

      Delete
  12. I have not read any thing written by Ann Cleeves. Her book sounds delightful. I love not being able to guess whodunnit right away when it comes to mystery novels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was glad to learn about this author.

      Delete