Saturday, August 25, 2018

ALL CLEAR




Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org


All Clear, Connie Willis, Ballantine Books, 2010, 641 pp
 
 
A couple weeks ago I read Black Out by Connie Willis. It ended abruptly because it was actually half a book. The other half is All Clear, so I squinched it into my reading plan for August lest I forget the story and the characters.
 
After finishing this volume, though I found out how the story ended, I was still uncertain about how and why these time traveling historians from 2060 Oxford to the London of WWII ended up with some still trapped in 1940 while others made it back to the future.

The major concern of the tale is whether or not time travelers change the past. The obvious answer would be, how could they not? The book's answer seems to be yes and no.

While I was fairly well entertained throughout both books, I am not satisfied with such ambiguity after reading 1132 pages. I have looked at many reviews and most of them have various guesses as to what Connie Willis was intending to suggest.

I am happy to have become acquainted with this author but am not sure I will read her again.


(All Clear is available in paperback by order from Once Upon A Time Bookstore.)

9 comments:

  1. I dislike ambiguity in books about big topics; like whether time travel would change history or not. So, even though I've enjoyed reading your reviews of both books by Connie Willis, I think I'll skip reading both books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a huge time commitment. I don't regret it really because now I know what Connie Willis was doing in her books and I had always wondered. Anyway, I don't blame you for your decision. I am glad you enjoyed my reviews.

      Delete
  2. Maybe she was laying the framework so each one of her readers could make up their own minds about the whole thing. I know it is disappointing after reading so much, but sometimes the point is to make you think, not to provide definite answers. Despite what I have just said, I find frustrating when authors do that. When I encounter it in movies I become outraged. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Carmen, I think you are right and I did think of a couple ways I could make up my mind about the whole thing. I am somewhere between frustrated and outraged. ;-)

      Delete
  3. This one won't be going on my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What to say. I always feel bad when I have to give a negative review. With her awards and her large following, I think she will do fine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ambiguity can at times be so unsatisfying, I agree. I suggest you email or call this author up! Pin her down on what she was trying to say or do. That's too many pages to play games. Ruff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am lucky to have such staunch supporters here at Keep the Wisdom!

      Delete