Sunday, June 23, 2019

EDUCATED


Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org

Educated, Tara Westover, Random House, 2018, 329 pp
 
I have read quite a number of books, both novels and memoirs, about Mormons. This is one those, in memoir form, and is pretty much the best one so far.
 
Breaking the bonds from a cult is always tough. Tara Westover's main magic key was education. I happen to believe that is the best method, though when someone is raised in such a circumstance there are family ties to deal with as well. Those ties double the emotional and psychological trauma.

Tara Westover has written an excellent book with honesty and heart. It was grueling to read about all that she went through as a child with her parents and her siblings. She used the strengths she had to reach for any opportunity to get away and build a life that suited her. 

I felt she may have had to evade some aspects of her family life and her subsequent hurdles after leaving. I thought she did so out of respect for her family or, as one of the reading group members said, for legal reasons. She is a canny writer though and gets her points across, letting us read between the lines.

16 comments:

  1. I've been wondering about this book and whether I've wanted to read it or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it contains important ideas about personal freedom but it also contains some pretty grueling stuff. Up to you.

      Delete
  2. The issue of people escaping from stifling and controlling interpretations of religions is a fascinating one. I have not read any accounts of Ex - Mormons but I have read some pieces from those who have escaped from other groups. I agree, education is often the best solution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Brian, I read these books because I think "stifling and controlling interpretations of religions" is one of the evils of the world, the cause of much destruction to mankind. One of the worst methods of control is the denial of education, thus getting an education is a way to fight back.

      Delete
  3. This one sounds like something I could relate to as someone who also left a cult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too? We need to talk, privately.

      Delete
  4. Grueling is a good way to describe it! I listened to the audio and was literally cringing at some of her experiences. Not a book for the faint of heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is for sure. It was not a life for the faint of heart!

      Delete
  5. No doubt Westover did leave a lot out in regard to her family but she certainly gave us enough information to make a judgment about those relations, the control exerted by the patriarchal system, and the resultant misogyny and devaluing of women. It was a harrowing read and at times I got very frustrated with Tara. She kept going back into the terrible situation when all I wanted her to do was run! But such is the pull of families - even bad families.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "such is the pull of families-even bad families" does explain that going back. It was also like she kept trying to see if she could resist or fight the control, almost like testing herself.

      Delete
  6. We enjoyed the audio last year but I recall finding a few aspects hard to believe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I know what you mean. Me, I was hoping some aspects weren't true because they were so gruesome but it seemed like maybe they were true.

      Delete
  7. This book is phenomenal! I was lucky enough to get it via NetGalley and I read it in a matter of hours. Such a well told memoir, fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been sort of scared to read this book .... after hearing the author interviewed a number of times about it. But I suspect I will eventually. I thought the Glass Castle was pretty amazing ... perhaps the writing made it so. This one sounds more gruesome but redeeming too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might have passed on it except for it being a reading group pick. The gruesome factor was about on a par with Glass Castle. What stood out for me was her internal struggles with it all and how she dealt with those.

      Delete