Sunday, September 01, 2019

BOOKS READ IN AUGUST






August was a tough month for reading in my world. I am a Leo but this year my sun sign let me down. What with a long translated, though wonderful, book that took me ten days to read as well as my husband's health crisis during which I could not concentrate on a book, I fell behind. During those days he was in hospital all I could do was talk to my sister, my sister-in-law, and my girlfriends on the phone and watch the first season of Orange is the New Black (nicely distracting.) I don't ever get to be a drama queen and I am quite tired of the role. Here is to a better September when my Virgo moon and rising will stabilize the world for me.

Stats: 9 books read. 5 by women. 1 psychological thriller. 1 memoir. 1 translated. 2 for My Big Fat Reading Project. 1 Sci Fi. 1 mystery.

Where I went: I stayed in the USA except for one book set in Poland.

Authors new to me: A J Finn, Dani Shapiro, Wieslaw Mysliwski.
 
Favorites: Stone Upon Stone, Lost Children Archive
 
Least favorites: The Woman in the Window, Inheritance


Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org

Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org
 
Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org
 
Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org
 
Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org
 
Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org
 
Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org
 
 


 
Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org 

Have you read any of these? What were your favorite reads in August?

21 comments:

  1. Though I never read as many books as I would like to, I have been getting more reading done lately.

    It has been a long time since I have read Ben Bova. I tend to like his books. I never read Star Watchman though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good on getting more reading done lately! A long time ago I read one of his later novels, Mars. I liked it so much that I put all his books on My Big Fat Reading Project lists. Now I have started with his first novel from 1964.

      Delete
  2. Still an impressive list in spite of your interruptions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've read a bit of Bova also, but not this one. eclectic collection (love that phrase! almost as euphonic as "cellar door") hope your partner's okay...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bova, in a forward to a later publication of this one, is interested in Empires and war, how to deal with the first and prevent the second. Partner is doing well now, thanks.

      Delete
    2. garbage barge is another one... (sorry...)

      Delete
  4. I hope the hub is doing better. You still had an impressive month. I liked Woman in the Window and Inheritance. Here's to a less stressful September.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hub seems to be fine now, thankfully. You liked the two books that were my least favorite. We can still be blogger friends though, right? I usually find September a calm month.

      Delete
  5. Not a bad reading month at all, especially considering everything that happened. The cover of Gain just sucks me in. I'm gonna look more into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carrie. Approach Gain with caution. I ended up liking it but whoa, it had a whole history of business in America that was a bit hard to follow.

      Delete
  6. Ben Bova - there's a name from the past! I used to read quite a lot of his stuff back in my 20's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I am just getting to him now.

      Delete
  7. wow, that's pretty good considering the very difficult month you had with your husband's health. And I hope he's on the sure road of recovery. Thinking of you both. Things can take time.
    It's been taking more than a year for my husband to almost get where he was before, though we know he'll never be really able to get there. But we are grateful for what we have today.
    I only read The Woman in the Window. Some themes I didn't like too much, but as whole I really liked all the red-herrings and how the plot evolved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Emma, it was a tough month. He is better now but we have been warned! Oh boy. Grateful for every day is the motto now I guess.

      Delete
  8. Siri Hustvedt's book and Lost Children Archive -- I'm interested in hearing about. Some of these reads take more concentration than others. You still had a good reading month. I was challenged by August -- too much time away, busy. Still September is looking up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the stars align you will see my Siri Hustvedt review tomorrow. Glad to hear September is looking up!

      Delete
  9. I read Inheritance and liked it, how strange that our opinions don't match up this time, haha. I can't remember if I '3 star liked it' or '4 star liked it' though. Now I must find your review...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Judy, I hope your husband is feeling better now and I totally understand how dealing with that was hard and impacted your reading. I hope September will be a better month for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Jessica, he is better and life goes on. Thank you for your understanding.

      Delete