Friday, September 13, 2019

GAIN


Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org

Gain, Richard Powers, Farrar Straus and Giroux, 1998, 408pp
 
Continuing my reading of Richard Powers novels in reverse publication order. Seven read and five to go.
 
I was worried I would dislike Gain because one of the main characters has cancer, ovarian to be exact. I get squeamish reading "cancer novels" and I did in this one too. However, in classic Powers style, he ties her story in with the carcinogenic impact of toxic waste produced by the cosmetics factory of a huge American company located in this woman's town.

Clare & Company, started by three brothers as a soap manufacturing concern in 19th century Boston, grew into an international consumer products conglomerate (think Proctor & Gamble.) Tracing the growth of this business gives Powers the opportunity to present a history of capitalist business practice in America. 

Most of the financial shenanigans went over my head but the rest of it was fascinating as it traces the incredible growth of just about everything in America over three centuries, showing how we got from then to now. Makes your head spin.

I happen to be one who fully believes that the malignant rise of cancer in the world is a direct result of the radiation and chemicals we spew into the environment. That is a downside of all that industrial growth and our luxurious way of life. Don't get me started on the epic fail of medicine to find an even somewhat humanitarian way to treat this scourge. (My apologies to those who have successfully survived the disease.)

Now I find myself reading all the labels on my soaps, cleaners and cosmetic products even more obsessively than I did before.

Once again, Richard Powers took a scenario from which we suffer while we benefit, focused it on the personal human level, and forced me to learn much more than I knew before. Gain is a link from Rachel Carson's Silent Spring to the world we have today.

12 comments:

  1. I, too, am one who believes that with the raise of all the chemicals we spray into the air and the radiation from nearly every tech item, we are making cancer worse and it seems to be everywhere now. We are paying a high price for the lifestyle we have. I often wonder if it's even worth it... anyway, great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We sure are, but it seems we would have a hard time giving it up. Thanks for liking my review.

      Delete
  2. I have not read Powers but I would like to. He seems to have written such interesting books. Many of his books sound so creative. Which one you recamend that I start with?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My two top favorites are The Overstory and The Time of Our Singing. I don't think you could go wrong with either of those.

      Delete
  3. I didn't realize he had so many books, but you are making each sound very interesting. He is quite the environmentalist, is he not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are all interesting. Yes, the environment is a huge concern of his but also the arts. Pretty well rounded I guess you would say.

      Delete
  4. totally agree on the cancer issue... we live out in the woods because of that, but i suspect it doesn't make that much difference, what with all the logging connected spraying that goes on around us... we try to eat organic for most things, but there's no guarantee there, either... i keep thinking about other planets... but the tickets are so expensive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and if we can't take enough care of the wonderful planet we have, do we deserve another one?

      Delete
  5. Powers certainly does have a way of taking difficult, complicated subjects and making them come to life in an understandable way. That is a great gift.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am with you 100% on how careful we must be in what we are putting onto and into our bodies. You must read labels on everything now, and even then it is not always enough. I worry so much for Eleanor's future, and any children she may have - the children of my students, everyone. It's scary.

    ReplyDelete