Wednesday, September 18, 2019

RED SPARROW


Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org

Red Sparrow, Jason Matthews, Scribner, 2013, 431 pp
 
I picked this up on a whim at the library because my husband and I loved the 2018 movie adaptation. (I will watch Jennifer Lawrence in anything she does.)
 
Jason Matthews is another retired CIA officer who turned to fiction. Former intelligence people write the best spy fiction in my opinion because they have lived it.

The book goes into much more detail than the movie about both CIA and Russian intelligence. Plus Putin is quite present in the story. Was he even in the movie? Even though Matthews may have overdone it a bit with all that detail, I found the novel quite informative.

Finally, the book ends with the idea that there will be more to the story of Dominika and Nathaniel. What do you know? There are two sequels! Hopefully there will be two more movies as well.

18 comments:

  1. intriguing... i'll look for it... James Church (did i already mentions this?) writes detective stories about north Korea... Inspector O is his tech... they're perceptive, witty and subtle... highly recommended... Church is a former intelligence officer...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am aware of James Church. On your recommendation I will try him.

      Delete
  2. Interesting. Maybe I need to see the movie - and check out the book as both a fan of the genre and Ms Lawrence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not seen the movie or read the book but both sound good. I will probably at least see the film. It makes sense that former intelligence folks would write very realistic spy stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the film was excellent.

      Delete
  4. Sounds intriguing. If I get a craving for spy fiction, I'll give it a read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So important to follow one's cravings when choosing reading material!

      Delete
  5. I remember when that movie was everywhere.... everyone kept talking about how bad her accent was. Well, that's about all I remember anyway lol. Glad you enjoyed this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie, the things you remember! Ha Ha.

      Delete
  6. I've never read or seen, but I remember hearing something about Jennifer Lawrence's accent? Maybe, I don't even know if it was this movie. But agreed on intelligence officers being (usually) good spy novelists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt I learned a lot about the relative viewpoints of American and Russian intelligence.

      Delete
  7. You know I haven't watched the movie or read it. And it seems you really liked the movie, so I should find it. I think I made my husband read this one too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think now he only saw the movie -- and thought it pretty wild or violent. More sex than spy??

      Delete
    2. It was all that, the movie I mean. When I read the book I understood why.

      Delete
  8. I too watch Jennifer Lawrence in anything. She's amazing!

    I didn't know this was a movie based on a book. I have seen the movie and I'd love to read this book. I'd love to read this and the sequels as well. Going to add this book to my TBR!

    ReplyDelete