Wednesday, November 04, 2020

HOW TO WRITE AN AUTOBIOGRAPHICAL NOVEL



How To Write An Autobiographical Novel, Alexander Chee, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2018, 380 pp


 I have wanted to read this book ever since it was published. Now, thanks to The Tiny Book Club, I have. Because I had read with great pleasure Chee's 2016 novel, The Queen of the Night, I knew he was a wonderful writer. Now I know how he became one.

In a series of autobiographical essays, collected and revised, he tells a great deal of his life story, including his family background, his education, his writing teachers and his first forays into publishing. These essays just sing with story and humor and emotion. 

For me, both the boon and the conundrum coming from my reading the book, were how it caused me to examine my own approach to writing. I won't go into all the soul searching and changes Mr Chee put me through, because it was personal in a way I could only try to convey to my reading group members, one a published poet and the other a highly educated reader.

If you are a writer at any stage of becoming or growth, I highly recommend the book, not so much for learning the craft or the business of writing but for how to BE a writer. It is one of the best I have read and I have read plenty.

20 comments:

  1. i probably ought to buy 5 or 6 copies... and read them all one after the other so maybe i could remember something...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might read this as I have to work on might writing... I've actaully never heard of him though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is probably better known in the US, but he could still inspire you!

      Delete
    2. I never heard of him either. Checked him out on Wiki and his article has only been translated into four other lanugages, that usually is an indication on how well someone is known in other countries.

      But the book sounds interesting nevertheless.

      Delete
  3. That sounds like an interesting book. And I would definitely read your autobiography, so start writing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marianne. I am working on it!

      Delete
    2. That's good to know!

      Delete
  4. This sounds like it would be very helpful to one seeking to write one's own story. Or anything really, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, anything really! It is also a wonderful memoir in essay form by a brilliant writer.

      Delete
  5. This book is SOOOO good! I'm so glad you recommended it to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I am so glad you read and loved it!

      Delete
  6. I'm game for it. I have not read Chee ... but I'm interested in writing too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! The better we can write the more we can get people to read more books.

      Delete
  7. This reminds me of Stephen King's On Writing, if only in the fact that King also wrote that book while reflecting on personal experiences and family. Love books like that and looks like this is a win too. I probably would not have picked it on basis on title alone but I love the way it's written so I'll be adding this to my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should mention On Writing. That is another of my favorite books about writing. I think you will find plenty to like in this one too.

      Delete