Friday, December 18, 2020

RBG X 2

 


My Own Words, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Simon & Schuster, 2016, 334 pp

In November, two of my reading groups chose two books on the subject of RBG, to be discussed a week apart from each other. Right in step with Nonfiction November! I always have a nonfiction book going in which I read a little most days. To complete the two RBG books in time though, I had to read more than a little each day. Honestly, I felt like I was in school but once again it was time well spent.

My Own Words is a collection of the Justice's articles, speeches and Supreme Court opinions. Assisting her in collecting, editing as needed, and writing Introductions for five different sections, were Mary Hartnett and Wendy W Williams. Those women are both professors of law who were also authorized by RBG to write her biography. As far as I know the biography is not yet published.

Having read Sisters In Law last year, some of the material in My Own Words covered ground I had been over before. That was fine because I gained a deeper understanding of the woman herself and of her life's work as well as the workings of the Supreme Court.

Her speeches are both charming and instructional. Her articles and court opinions are quite dense with legal speak and court precedent, making them more challenging reading for me since I still have scant knowledge of law, courts, and our justice system. 

Now I have more of that knowledge, making me better at reading and comprehending the news about Supreme Court cases and decisions. I have come to realize the importance of comprehending these matters as a civic duty and as a voter in our difficult and changing times.



Conversations With RBG, Jeffrey Rosen, Henry Holt and Company, 2019, 260 pp

This was the second book. It was a much quicker read. In a series of conversations, Jeffrey Rosen poses questions to Ms Ginsburg about life, love, liberty, and law. Her answers provided even more insight into the woman behind the image.

Jeffrey Rosen is President and CEO of the National Constitution Center. I have enjoyed many of his articles written for the Center's blog. He has been a friend of RBG since 1991 and it shows in their conversations.

They spoke about her landmark cases, her wonderful and happy marriage to Marty Ginsburg, her relationships with other Supreme Court Justices, and her carefully thought out plans for what she wished to accomplish on the Court.

Of course, my favorite chapter was "Margaret Atwood Meets RBG."

By the end of the book I felt I almost knew the woman personally. In the paperback edition I read, Rosen includes an afterword. It recounts his last conversation with the great woman, on December 17, 2019. So you get her own words, including her concerns for the future, just ten months before her death.

I wager that a full biography will appear eventually and I will probably read it. For now I have a fairly complete picture of this towering woman, her heart, her extraordinary intellect, and her unwavering courage.

17 comments:

  1. A woman well deserving of enormous respect. I hope that she continues to inspire women - and men for that matter - for many years to come. Her shoes will never be filled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, David. I believe her work on the court will contribute to making a more just society for many, many years.

      Delete
  2. laudable... one of a kind, she was, but we need more like her... desperately...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should read these. Ginsberg had such an impact and was so important. She is worth knowing more about.

    Hopefully not too much of her achievements will be eroded by some of the current trends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's great about reading these books is learning about how the precedents she set into both constitutional law and civil law were building blocks to a more just society that will not be easy to erode.

      Delete
  4. Glad you enjoyed these so much. I find something new about the beloved RBG in every book I try. I've read several as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is true that there is always more to learn about her.

      Delete
  5. Wow, timely reads! I may wait for that other biography to come out though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can see that. Those writers that put My Own Words together are sure to do a good job on the biography.

      Delete
  6. This sounds absolutely fascinating. There are so many great women among us and it is good that you read these books to remind us of this. Great reviews. Thanks, Judy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It all is interesting though not fascinating because law is not my preferred genre. Ha Ha. But important to know about great women and remember them and their deeds.

      Delete
    2. That's exactly it. And I am very interested in law, having worked in that field for quite a few years. Not in US law, of course, but over time I have come to learn a lot about it. It's quite an important part and if someone like RBG can get more people to read at least a little something about it, she's already done a great job.

      Delete
  7. Atwood meets RBG ... wow! What year was that? I can only imagine ... what these two heavyweights discuss ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both books about RBG sound amazing!! I would like to read more about her amazing life... I also want to read more about Sandra Day O'Connor too.

    I currently have Sonia Sotomayor's memoir, My Beloved World, which I acquired from a Little Free Library. Maybe I should read that for Women's History Month in 2021?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to read the Sonia Sotomayor memoir. Women's History Month would be perfect!

      Delete