Wednesday, December 30, 2020

THIS IS THE NIGHT OUR HOUSE WILL CATCH FIRE


 This Is the Night Our House Will Catch Fire, Nick Flynn, W W Norton & Co, 2020, 275 pp

The other day when I reviewed The Good Family Fitzgerald, I mentioned that I intended to finish reading and reviewing the remaining 2020 selections of The Nervous Breakdown Book Club by the end of the year. I have finished reading the 5 books in this little challenge but with only two days left in December, I may find it even more challenging to fit in all the reviews. 

But first, a bit of a rant. I saw in the news recently that Bertlesmann, the international media conglomerate, who already owns Penguin Random House (itself already a conglomerate of all kinds of formerly independent publishing houses) is now going after Simon & Schuster. While we all realize that publishing is a business and thus must make money/profits, don't you think it feels like all these mergers into one mega corporation presents risks to the diversity of books that reach us? 

So I had the thought that the little indie publishers around the country and the world are going to have to take up the mantle that takes chances on new writers, on experimental writers, even genre writers, that have been choked out of mainstream publishing. I urge you to pay attention to the publishers of the books you read, the books that become bestsellers, have huge marketing budgets, etc, etc. If by chance you feel a sort of stifling sameness about some of these books, I want to point out that my subscription to The Nervous Breakdown Book Club has brought me many novels that are sometimes unusual, sometimes experimental but are almost always excellent reads by little known authors.

This Is the Night Our House Will Catch Fire is one of those books. It was the August pick, the fourth memoir by Nick Flynn and its publisher, W W Norton, is still privately owned. 

The style is what I would call experimental, short pieces arranged in such a way that brings together the traumatic events of the author's childhood, how he has coped with those events in both self-destructive and constructive ways, how he has figured out his adult relationships and how to live up to his responsibilities. 

The writing is full of contradictions: sadness and humor; insight and unawareness; real and imaginary memories. Because Flynn seems aware of these contradictions, I believed him.

The best parts for me were when he got into how he saw his environment as a kid. Those parts are excellent renditions of how kids try to make sense of what the adults around them are doing.

I also listened to his interview on the Otherppl podcast where I learned about his writing process and found useful ideas and approaches to writing memoir. Flynn teaches writing and it was almost like taking a class from him. If any of you are attempting that tricky descent into your past, I recommend both the book and the interview.

I truly admire people who attempt to raise their consciousness. To me, that is the most important task in life and is the road to developing our potentials as human beings. 

15 comments:

  1. I've seen this one around too and it sounds really interesting. I too worry about these publishing houses getting swallowed up. I fear one of the majorly negative consequences will be the stifling of BIPOC voices. We can't let that happen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thoughtful post... megacorps are taking over everything, it seems a choice between "Brave New World" or "1984" or maybe a combo of both... whatever it turns out to be, the rich will get richer and the poor... unless there's a lot of bloodshed... history teaches that humans don't change much...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is bleak. But one thing that cannot be owned or killed is an idea. And books are full of ideas. And I was just thinking about how that works out if the Indies stay indie.

      Delete
  3. It is indeed a sobering thought that something as fundamental to democracy might fall into the hands of one or two corporate giants. How would anything critical of them ever get published? All the best for 2021, Judy. I will look forward to following you all through the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sobering indeed. All the best to you David. We will go on!

      Delete
  4. Nope, not a fab of mega corporations - sad. "Catchy" title on that memoir LOL

    Happy New Year Judy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a good pun! Sadly, it really happened-:(

      Delete
  5. This sounds quite intriguing and the title is definitely an attention-grabber!

    I fully agree we should all do what we can to support the indies of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, great title. And in the book it really does! I've got three more indie titles coming up.

      Delete
  6. In do not know much about the publishing industry at all. But anything that reduces competition is bad.

    Flynn sounds like an interesting person and the book sounds like it is worth the read,

    Have a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad we are in agreement. Happy New Year, Brian!

      Delete
  7. Excellent review and I agree that without a wide variety of publishing houses, we lack diversity in the reading world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured that most of my followers would feel the same, so good for us!

      Delete