Wednesday, January 27, 2021

RED PILL


 Red Pill, Hari Kunzru, Alfred A Knopf, 2020, 304 pp

This is an important novel about today's world, about intrusion into our privacy, about a sort of epic battle between left and right in politics, about the ways in which such conundrums wear us out and down.

The title refers back to the 1999 film, The Matrix. It is about a choice: the red pill reveals life-changing truth, the blue allows a state of blissful ignorance. (I did not remember this trope from the film so I plan to watch it again.)

The novel opens with a middle-aged writer, happily married, father of a three year old daughter, but stuck as a writer.

"It is when you first understand," he says of middle age, "that your condition...is not absolutely mutable, that what has already happened will, to a great extent, determine the rest of the story."

In an effort to break through his writer's block, he travels from Brooklyn to Germany on a fellowship. He expects to have weeks of uninterrupted quiet and to work on his next book. 

Instead, he finds a regimented scene where he is expected to write at a desk in a large communal room surrounded by the other writers. He immediately becomes uncomfortable and gains a reputation as odd man out and troublemaker for resisting the rules.

He hides out in his room, binge-watching a violent cop show, and not writing. He takes walks around the town of Wannsee, historically the location where the Nazis planned the final solution. In the dining area he meets Anton, the writer of the cop show and perceives the man to be his nemesis. Eventually an obsession forms that Anton is living in the writer's mind. His actions become increasingly erratic.

I am drawn to descent into madness tales, perhaps because I have been on that brink a couple times myself. Kunzru has cleverly written one these tales but creates a parallel one; society and an individual making similar descents.

This creepy beginning ramps up into a type of psychological thriller. After a stint in a psych ward and finally being rescued by his left-wing lawyer wife, the book ends on the night of the 2016 election as he and his wife throw a party to watch the election results come in. Yes, that night!

I found the end of the book possibly a bit soft and improbable. As I thought about it over several days, I realized that it is so very Hari Kunzru that the nature of his story should be set against an improbable ending. After all, at this point in history we have little idea of where we are headed. 

Not a feel good novel but certainly an illuminating one.

30 comments:

  1. brave of you to tackle this one... the beginning is intriguing but it kind of seems to wander off into the foothills...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That may have to do with the way I wrote the review. I did not want to give too much away. For me it got more intriguing as it went. Sorry if I gave a wrong idea.

      Delete
  2. I love the Matrix trilogy. Red Pill by Hari Kunzru sounds like a book to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! He brings that into the 21st century in a way.

      Delete
  3. Post-Matrix movie the Red/Blue pill choice became *the* defining geek question [grin] Along with, of course, Star Wars/Star Trek and DC/Marvel... [lol]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari Kunzru is a bit of a geek himself, I think.

      Delete
  4. I really did think; "Hmm, would this have something to do with The Matrix." I love that it's a reference to that movie. Makes me curious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you may be among the target audience for this novel, then.

      Delete
  5. Doesn't seem like the kind of book you want to read when feeling a little down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I don't know. Sometimes when I am feeling down a book like this makes me feel less alone.

      Delete
  6. I do like a good darker story and am pretty sure I read something by this author in the past. Thanks for sharing, I'm intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might like this one then. I am curious to know which one you read if you can remember.

      Delete
  7. I have heard quite a lot about this book and have wavered back and forth over whether I should read it. Your review has decided me - it goes into the queue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good! I really want to know what you think of it.

      Delete
  8. As a huge fan of The Matrix film this sounds interesting! Yes, in the beginning of the movie, Morpheus offers Neo two pills. One is the red one, that will show Neo everything and the other is the blue one, which will allow him to live as he always has, his eyes closed to what's really going on around him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, glad the web gave me the correct definitions. So yes, The Matrix and a writer. What could go wrong, right?

      Delete
  9. This sounds like a book you’d definitely have to be in the right frame of mind to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, you are right about that.

      Delete
  10. wow, sounds fascinating. And a new to me author, thanks frr your great review

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah I had this book from the library last year and it slipped thru my hands & had to give it back before I read it (argh). I will get it again! I like descent tales as well ... Can't believe it winds up at the 2016 election night ... ugh that was the worst ever

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, get it again! I would love to know how you like it.

      Delete
  12. This sounds fascinating. It sounds full of themes that I am interested in. The term "red pill" is now used in all sorts of contexts. All are related to the films.

    I may give that a read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what, Brian? I thought of you while I was reading the book.

      Delete
  13. Thank you for such a thoughtful review. I probably won't have time for this one, but I appreciate you always broadening my horizons with fantastic fiction!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I read Kunzru's White Tears more than a year ago and enjoyed it. So this sounds like it would be another great read based on your thought-provoking review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you should give it a try. And thanks for visiting and commenting here.

      Delete
  15. So glad you explained the significance of the title since that would completely have escaped my notice. I have an earlier novel of his on my shelves and keep picking it up and debating whether to read or give away. Not sure he is my style of writer though the themes of this one are interesting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! Kunzru is a great writer but has unique insights. I enjoy them. So nice to have a visit from you, Karen.

      Delete