Sunday, March 14, 2021

BIRDS OF AMERICA


 Birds of America, Mary McCarthy, Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, 1965, 344 pp

Never would I ever have guessed that I would love so much this novel from 1965. I should not have been that surprised. Mary McCarthy is one of my favorite female 20th century writers, so intelligent, such sharp humor.

Peter Levi is the son of a Jewish historian, the stepson of a Jewish scientist, the son of a thrice married Anglo Saxon Protestant mother who is also a world famous harpsichordist. He passed his younger years being shuttled between New England and Berkeley, CA. He was in love with his mother as a child. By the end of the book, when he is just 19, he still loves her deeply but is aware of her flaws.

I suspect that a great deal of why I was so taken is the time period. Peter grew up in the same years I did. My parents never divorced but my father was an armchair intellectual, my mother had been an aspiring organist. They were both liberals to the end and encouraged me to be well read, well educated, and intelligent.

Peter is a bit awkward socially. He studies philosophy in college. For most of the novel he is in his junior year at the Sorbonne in Paris. He loves the natural world, is in favor of the Civil Rights movement and agonizes continually about how to be. Most of all, he is against war, the Vietnam War in particular, and has the draft hanging over him, as did all the young men I knew at that age.

How do you write a coming of age tale that is emotional, political, philosophical, and traces so delicately the mother/son relationship, all at the same time? How do you create a woke young man in the latter half of the 20th century? How do you breathe life into such a worldly yet confused character? Read The Birds of America and learn.

24 comments:

  1. Ms. Mcarthy was a ubiquitous presence in the lit world of the fifties and early sixties and i'm embarrassed to say i've never read one of her books... i can see the attraction, as i grew up in the Bay Area as well... onto the ever-expanding list her name goes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I truly don't remember how she got onto the lists of My Big Fat Reading Project. I started with her first novel, from 1942, called The Company She Keeps and just kept going. I am happy to contribute to your ever-expanding list!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a real winner and of course, I'm curious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds wonderful! The Group is the only McCarthy novel I've read, maybe this should be the next one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be a good one for further McCarthy reading!

      Delete
  4. I like confused young people's coming of age stories. I'm a bit of a sucker for them. So I'm curious of this one and the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, so do I and this was a good one.

      Delete
  5. Sound a good book...I should read it.

    Have a great day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment today, Tanza!

      Delete
  6. I know I have read some Mary McCarthy but I've been wracking my brain to remember which ones. The only one I can come up with is The Group. I'm sure I've never read this one but maybe I should. It sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think The Group was the book that introduced me to her. This one was even better I thought. And her memoirs are also good but that is not your preferred genre, I know.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like an amazing novel!! I have never read anything written by Mary McCarthy and I'm not sure I've heard of her before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, she is very 20th century but was definitely ahead of her time!

      Delete
  8. I'm especially drawn to the mother/son relationship and especially seeing flaws in your parents when you're getting older.

    Sadly I lost my father, but can relate to seeing flaws in a person you love. I've once watched a movie with the quote "Mother is God in the eyes of a child." And I think I agree :) This book seems to fit that topic, and that makes me curious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry you lost your father. My parents died over a decade ago. But I too like mother/son stories too because I have two sons, though they are definitely in the stage of seeing my flaws-:(

      Delete
  9. You have me curious - I have not read any books by this author and this one sounds a very good place to start. Curious about where this book leads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can tell you this: it has a wonderfully surprising ending!

      Delete
  10. An author I don’t know, thanks for sharing your review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel like this is something I would love and even relate to on some level. This is going on my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there is a lot to relate to on various levels in this book.

      Delete