Saturday, March 03, 2018

MARCH READING GROUP UPDATE








March will be another rather quiet month for my reading groups. We really need this flu season to be over.

Last month's roundup report: Both Miss Burma and The Weight of Ink provided long, deep and lively conversations. Actually so did The Child Finder. We covered history, philosophy, and inhumanity to children. Heavy stuff but great for stretching our minds and touching our hearts.

Coming up are two books I had not read before and one (Hillbilly Elegy) I have. I finished The Power last night and can't wait to discuss that one tomorrow afternoon!


Molly's Group:
Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org
 
 
One Book At A Time:
Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org
 
 
Bookie Babes:
Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org 


Have you read and/or discussed any of these? What is happening in your reading groups, if you participate in such things? Any recommendations?
 

14 comments:

  1. Too bad that due to flu season your groups are not meeting. Those books sure merit long discussions. I look forward to your review of The Power.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These discussions I am having with my groups are kind of saving me right now. To know that I know so many people of good will and smart minds is truly a comfort. The Power was amazing, I thought. Now I have to figure out how to review it!

      Delete
  2. Looks like another interesting month for your book groups.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read any of those books, but I hope you have some good discussions about them. I'll be interested to hear more about The Power!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, The Power was amazing. You will be hearing about it for sure!

      Delete
  4. I read Hillbilly Elegy with my book club last year and thought it was highly interesting and very informative. Certainly a great book for a book club to discuss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is certain to give us plenty to talk about, Marianne.

      Delete
  5. Glad you liked the Power. Roxy Monke to the rescue?! Alderman is like, wow. (the scene where Roxy loses her voltage surgically killed me. Ugh that was really tough. My fav character. I was ready to strangle her family for that. I thought Hillbilly Elegy was pretty interesting & amazed he overcame a lot to go Ivy league etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I had the reading group discussion last night on The Power. All except one other person hated it, several didn't even finish. Oh well, different books for different folks, right? Roxy was my favorite character too!

      Delete
    2. Hmm. I guess The Power wasn't an easy novel (it was quite expansive) but I thought it paid off big if you stayed with it. Loved some of the dialogue too. How the author did it -- and all the areas she hit upon -- sort of blew me away. Will Roxy get a sequel? hmm

      Delete
    3. Agreed! I looked up the author. Read some interviews. She has a very interesting bio.

      Delete
  6. I read The Case for Grace by Lee Strobel for my church's book club but we had to postpone our meeting due to the snow! We hope to meet at the end of this month now. Next we will be reading God's Smuggler by Brother Andrew. Happy reading and meeting! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica. This winter has been hard on book clubs!

      Delete