Thursday, March 01, 2018

BOOKS READ IN FEBRUARY




My February reading was varied, hitting several genres, locations, and time periods. I set myself the challenge to read 12 books a month this year. Not because I want to impress anyone with how much I read but because I have so many books I want to read and I am not getting any younger, so looking at how many years I potentially have left to read, I simply need to read more. Though February is such a short month, I was pleased to have met the goal. Full disclosure: I did it by reading mostly short books at the end of the month.

Stats: 12 books read. 11 fiction. 5 written by women. 6 for My Big Fat Reading Project. 1 biography. 1 thriller. 1 Sci Fi. 1 children's book. 1 mystery. 2 apocalyptic. 2 translated. 1 Nobel Prize author. 1 Pulitzer Prize author.

Favorites: Gold Dust Woman, The Weight of Ink, The Child Finder, The Ice Palace.
Least favorite: Podkayne of Mars

One problem I am having is keeping up with writing reviews of the books and posting them on the blog. You can expect more frequent posts in the coming weeks as I get caught up.


Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org


Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org


Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org


Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org


Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org


Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org







Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org


Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org


Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org


Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org


Have you read any of these books? What were your favorite books read in February?

12 comments:

  1. A good variety of books! I haven't read any of those, so I'll look forward to your reviews as you get caught up with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen. For you I recommend The Weight of Ink for all the history in it.

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to read your reviews for The Road (I read this book before I began blogging and thought it was a quick read), Stevie Nicks's biography as I like listening to her music, and your review of Mario Vargas Llosa's book... I read and reviewed a novel written by Mario Vargas Llosa titled In Praise of the Stepmother in October 2016. Mario Vargas Llosa is a good writer no doubt about it, but In Praise of the Stepmother was a very weird and creepy novel. Here's a link to my review of Mario Vargas Llosa's novel: https://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/search?q=Mario+Vargas+Llosa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa. Mario Vargas Llosa IS weird and creepy. The book of his I read in February was my second I had read of his novels and both were a challenge. I will go read your review now.

      Delete
  3. Quite a wide array of reads! Oh The Road ... that one scene in particular scares the bejesus out of me. I think it's the one where people are being kept in the cellar .... yikes. I look forward to the reviews of these. I heard a Stevie song the other day ... maybe it was After the Glitter Fades which took me back to her Bella Donna days. What is your favorite song & album of hers? Landslide I must say is all-time classic ... but there are others ... like her song Sara ... hmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, The Road is gruesome but I was kind of shocked that I wasn't more shocked by it. I guess it has sunken in for me that we are likely to have some kind of apocalypse, if not in our lifetimes, then eventually.
      My favorite Stevie Nicks album is Bella Donna, hands down. So many favorites songs but Sara is for sure among them. My review of that one will be posted any day now. I have stories!

      Delete
  4. Twelve books a month would be an ambitious - i.e., unachievable - goal for more me, unless I did nothing but read, but you seem to handle it with aplomb. And such diversity in reading! I do admire you for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, well I read more hours a day than I do anything else. But aplomb? Ha! Those last few days in the month I was freaking out because I was behind on my goal. Anyway it is a fun game I play with myself. I know that when summer comes and my yard needs me it may become impossible. Thanks for the admiration. We can all use that!

      Delete
  5. What a bundle! It's logical to fall behind in your reviews when you read so much one after the other. Looking forward to your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am writing and posting the reviews as fast as I can!

      Delete
  6. Well done on reaching your goal of 12 books. The only book I've read is The Road - it was many years ago now but I remember it being dark and powerful. My favourite read from March was the new cookbook The Hairy Dieters (5) Go Veggie by Si King & Dave Myers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knowing how you love to cook, I can see how a cookbook could be your favorite book! Yes, The Road was dark but seemed less shocking than it would have in 2007-:(

      Delete