Saturday, August 18, 2018

THE BLOODY SUN









The Bloody Sun, Marion Zimmer Bradley, Ace Books, 1964, 372 pp
 
 
This is the third book in Marion Zimmer Bradley's very long Darkover series. It follows The Planet Savers and The Sword of Aldones which I read last year. According to the author's introduction in the edition I read, she rewrote the novel is 1979, but she still recommended reading the series in order of original publication. All a bit confounding though I am following her advice to consider The Bloody Sun as #3 in the series, reading the book as part of my 1964 list though it is the updated edition. If you are a fan of this series you know what I am saying here.
 
Darkover is a planet with two cultures: one is indigenous and ancient, run on myth and magic. The other culture is a colonizing conglomerate of a space federation bent on mining and accumulating riches through science and interstellar conquest.

With its huge red sun, its four differently colored moons, and its ruling class of empaths, Darkover's indigenous culture is steeped in tradition but beginning to question some of those old practices as the empaths are dying out while the Terrans are gaining power.

There has been intermarriage between Darkoverans and Terrans. Jeff Kerwin, an orphan, son of a Darkover mother and a Terran father, has returned to Darkover after growing up on Earth and serving in the Terran space force. He is conflicted about who he is. He wants desperately to learn about his parents. He has some strange abilities he doesn't understand and carries only dreamlike memories of the planet along with a Darkovan matrix jewel.

Before long Jeff finds the sacred council of Comyns, their mysterious Tower and enigmatic Keeper. He is tested and accepted into the council where he mostly feels at home for the first time in his life. As he learns the techniques of their secret powers he also finds conflict and unsettled issues within the council.

Jeff falls in love with the woman most forbidden to him, breaking several taboos. When he is subsequently accused of betraying the Darkovans to his Terran masters, his life becomes more desperate than ever. Choices must be made.

The Bloody Sun was not only a thrilling tale. The whole subject of empathic and telepathic communication, laid out so well by the author, intrigued me. My top two favorite tropes in science fiction and fantasy are time travel and telepathy. Even in the 21st century, there is a branch of psychotherapy that recognizes empaths with their special sensitivity and deals with the phenomenon that can be both a gift and a curse.

Basically I am more excited than ever to continue reading the Darkover books.

8 comments:

  1. I've had this series on my radar for a while. Based on your review, I think I need to work it into my reading schedule soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These books take me back to some core beliefs I formed in my early 20s. I like reviving some of them.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like an interesting read. Marion Zimmer Bradley has been read by so many people I know, yet somehow I have managed to miss out on reading any of her novels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can read some of her books I think it would make you happy!

      Delete
  3. I like your analysis of this one. I think I would like this trilogy for the paranormal angle. Isn't she the author of Avalon? I mention it because it was on sale the other on Amazon and I felt tempted to buy it; the 800 pages stopped me in my track. Apparently she has written several Arthurian legend re-imaginings, with the females as stronger figures than typical. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carmen. Yes, she is most well known for The Mists of Avalon and subsequent books set there, definitely emphasizing the feminine. The Darkover series was her longest running series. She began creating that world while in her teens and just kept going.

      Delete
  4. I need to get to Mists of Avalon ... which I know is one of your favorites. I didn't realize she wrote this type of tale as well. Quite eye-opening.

    ReplyDelete