Friday, June 07, 2019

DEEP SOUTH


Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org

Deep South, Nevada Barr, G P Putnam's Sons, 2000, 340 pp
 
In #8 of Nevada Barr's National Park mystery series, she enters the 21st century. Park ranger Anna Pigeon, at 45, has taken a promotion to District Ranger. Her new assignment is the  Natchez Trace in Mississippi. Anna has never been in the deep south and every kind of unpleasant surprise greets her within two days of her arrival: weather, misogyny, racism and murder.
 
Anna has always been her own particular version of a feminist including being strong and brave. In Deep South these traits are sorely tested. One of the highlights of the story is the nuanced way the author explores the plight of a woman in a higher position than sexist men. Another is the meticulous interweaving of race and religion among the southerners, especially in a rural area. Then she brings in a whole bunch of teenagers, one of whom is the murder victim.

Riveting. The story seemed more suspenseful than ever in a highly suspenseful series. Barr's writing about the natural world is always excellent but in this one she outdoes herself. This was just what I needed after the dense reading I experienced in Sisters In Law.

17 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review. Believe it or not I haven't read any books by Nevada Barr yet. I'll keep my eye out for it at the library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The National Park locations make them stand out from the usual mystery. I have found all of them at my libraries.

      Delete
  2. I see that there are a lot of books in the Anna Pigeo series. I think that it is neat that they all take place in different National Parks. I also think it is a good thing that the book digs into a lot of cultural and social issues.

    My wife tends to like mysteries of this sort so I will make her aware of this series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The locations are what attracted me to the series. You really get what it is like for the park staff as well as a feel for each park. Your wife will probably love them!

      Delete
  3. Nevada Barr actually served as a ranger on the Natchez Trace for a while and I've always felt that her two novels set there are particularly sharp in the depiction of the people and culture of the area. Or maybe that's just because of my familiarity with that area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope she's not too harsh on the Deep South. I always enjoy your reviews of her books! The parks make for great settings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is not harsh. She tells it like it is through her characters, not generalities.

      Delete
  5. i haven't read Ms. Barr but the descriptions of the natural world appeal... if i get a break i'll grab one at the library.... tx...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The library is a good place to find her.

      Delete
  6. Great review! I love books that take place in the South. I grew up around there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carrie. The South is an intriguing part of the American mix.

      Delete
  7. One day, per your endorsement, I will read this series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carmen!! So good to hear from you. I believe you about the series. What have you been reading?

      Delete
    2. It's good to catch up as well. I had a catch-up-marathon Saturday on your site. In April I finished The Shadow Land by Elizabeth Kostova. In May I finished Warlight and was very impressed, as you may already know from my blog post/comment on your site :-), and now I'm reading Washington Black, which I'm liking a great deal.

      Delete
  8. Sounds like a novel I would enjoy reading!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good, Lisa. I hope you get a chance to read it someday.

      Delete