Monday, July 08, 2019

WHERE THE CRAWDADS SING


Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org

Where the Crawdads Sing, Delia Owens, G P Putnam's Sons, 2018, 368 pp
 
I kept hearing from my reading friends about how great this novel is. They were right! It just hit all my sweet spots for fiction.
 
Kya is a lonely girl living in marsh lands on the edge of a small North Carolina coastal town. Her father is an abusive drunk but he is the only family she has left. Her mother took off when Kya was only six. She and her older siblings fend for themselves as their father leaves for long periods of time.

So Kya is raised by the marsh, its wild life and tides and swamps and waterways. When she must go into town for supplies, the "upright" people find her strange. They begin to call her the Marsh Girl.

As her siblings leave home one by one, she is the only one left to cook for her father and even has a period of good relations with him but finally he too disappears. She has to figure out almost everything for herself while hiding from truant officers and social services.

I know this sounds terribly dreary and it is. The depths of Kya's loneliness breaks your heart. Still, her intelligence and resourcefulness are amazing. The writing about the natural world and her relationship to it is exquisite. She makes friends with a boy from town who teaches her to read, opening up a whole new world for her. 

As years go by more trouble comes and finally she is trapped by it, even though she has become a young woman and has managed to write and illustrate a book about her marsh, even though she's had it published and made money.

Perhaps it was inevitable because she came of age, leading to her involvement with two men. Her unusual combination of intelligence and innocence could only lead to trouble in such a precarious environment.

I was full of worry for Kya through the entire book but in her own way she survives it all. A completely satisfying ending left me knowing I had read an extraordinary story.

24 comments:

  1. I'm delighted that you loved the book as much as I did. It is an extraordinary read. My favorite parts are the descriptions of the natural world and of how Kya became an integral part of it in order to survive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those were my favorite parts as well!

      Delete
  2. I've heard great things about this novel and am glad you felt it lived up to the hype.

    You have me wanting to know how it ends!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good! The end is so surprising.

      Delete
  3. The plot sounds fascinating. Based on your description it sounds as if it moves into some unexpected directions. I tend to like character studies especially if they are a little offbeat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almost everything in this novel is a bit offbeat!

      Delete
  4. This was an amazing "debut" novel; can't wait for another by this talented author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I might check out her non-fiction while waiting.

      Delete
  5. This sounds like a heart wrenching read but I do love a story where the hero/heroine surpasses all the hardships they went through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes! We have enough victim stories right?

      Delete
  6. mrs m is reading this at the moment and i hear positive gurgles from that direction... i may glom on to it when she's finished... tx...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy for Mrs M. I am going to put it in front of my husband.

      Delete
  7. Ooooh... This looks *very* good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Judy, this best-selling book sounds like a must-read. Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Suko. Wonderful to have you stop by and comment.

      Delete
  9. Yeah I liked that Kya had gotten into illustrating her nature books. I could see her doing the illustrations so fastidiously for hours in her natural setting. I liked the marsh. It's a story that sort of combines natural history with fiction which made for a winning combo to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is one of my favorite combos!

      Delete
  10. This is my favorite novel so far this year! I didn't learn that Owens is an award-winning nature writer until after I'd finished. Like you, I plan to check out her nonfiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is a standout novel! Let's see which of us gets to her nonfiction first.

      Delete
  11. Having grown up in the NC marsh, I should read this!

    www.thepulpitandthepen.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would not be sorry! Thanks for another visit. How did you come across my blog?

      Delete
  12. Thanks for leaving your link with my review.

    I liked what you said about the "completely satisfying ending", a good way to describe it. I had my troubles with that.

    Anyway, I usually stay away from books that everyone raves about but too many of my really good reader friends had read and recommended it. I'm glad I changed my mind.

    I know this book will stay with me forever and be part of my all time favourite reading list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes the readers get it right! I like it when the buzz comes from readers instead of marketers.

      Delete