Sunday, July 21, 2019

NORMAL PEOPLE


Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org

Normal People, Sally Rooney, Hogarth, 2018, 273 pp
 
This intimate story of two young friends, a boy named Connell and his classmate Marianne, left me wondering what made it so captivating but left me feeling less impressed than so many other readers were.
 
Two kids in high school, both insecure for different reasons, see something in each other that makes them feel understood for perhaps the first time. Connell is the son of a single mom and never knew his father. Marianne is from a wealthy but strange family. Connell's mom is the cleaner of Marianne's palatial home in a small Irish town near Sligo.

As I read, I was reminded of my high school years, my own insecurities, how self-involved I was. Truthfully it was disconcerting to realize and remember the degree of that self-involvement, despite having a good stable family with most of my needs met.

In high school, Connell was popular because he was a star athlete. Marianne was shunned because she was so weird. They then go to the same college in Dublin where Marianne blossoms, has tons of friends but Connell can't seem to fit in.

Through it all they have lots of sex (hidden from others in their hometown but openly in Dublin.) They talk to each other incessantly, they feel that mutual understanding but in other ways they are as unknown to each other as they both are to themselves. They break up, get back together, several times. 

I understand all of it. I think if I were in my 20s or 30s, I would have loved the novel and even learned truths from it.

In its heart this is a deep and wise tale. Sometimes though I felt slightly bored. I am not the target generation. That is my conclusion even after a full discussion with my reading group.

16 comments:

  1. The characters sound very interesting. I was also self absorbed and strange in my teens but found that strangeness to be a social advantage in college. Though I am also well past the target audience too, I have a few old friends, now in their fifties, who have not really moved on from all this. I think that I might find this book interesting.

    Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brian. I always feel a little bad when I have to write an "undecided" sort of review. I am laughing when you say a few old friends have not moved on from being self absorbed.

      Delete
  2. This sounds like my cup of tea! I'm be seeing if my library has it so I can read it next month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, read it now before you get old like me!

      Delete
  3. Judy, I think you nailed it for me. I think if I was the same age or even had kids the age of these characters, I would have appreciated it more than I did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diane! I wish you could have been at my reading group meeting.

      Delete
  4. Normal People seems to be a very popular book right now!

    I've been on the fence about this novel for the reasons you have already mentioned... I'm not the target audience and may become bored reading it if I do read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe you could safely skip it-:)

      Delete
  5. Not that there was much chance of me reading it before, but I think I learned enough from your review to pass :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not all books are for all readers at their particular time and circumstance in life. Still it is good to break out of our circle of comfort occasionally and view (remember) how the other half lives and what is important to them. You are certainly a reader known for breaking out of that circle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Dorothy. I am certainly not sorry I read it. For all the halves of all of us!!

      Delete
  7. I might be a bit in your camp -- about the general overall feeling about the novel. 3.5 stars perhaps -- for its observations, many adolescent insecurities, and dialogue ... I just finished it recently. Its everydayness quality maybe wasn't too exciting. I didn't care for Marianne but liked Connell a bit better. Seemed a bit drippy, why not just commit to going out ... holy smokes, save us a bit

    ReplyDelete
  8. I couldn't get into it but I agree I'm not the target audience. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for adding to the discussion, Carole!

      Delete