Sunday, November 17, 2019

THE GIRL IN THE TOWER


Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org

The Girl in the Tower, Katherine Arden, Del Rey, 2017, 363 pp
 
I do like fantasy novels when they are done to my rather picky standards. The Girl in the Tower is #2 in Katherine Arden's Winternight Trilogy. These books hit all my loves in fantasy. I would call this trilogy historical, myth-based fantasy.
 
Vasya is a complex yet believable heroine. She was raised on tales from her nanny, including one about the Frost King, a tale that opens the first book, The Bear and the Nightingale. She can see the spirits that inhabit hearths and barns. Morosko, the Frost King, is a character in these books and someone who Vasya has strong feelings for. Because of all this, she is considered a witch by her family and community.

So, I loved The Girl in the Tower as much as I did the first book. Vasya has grown into a young woman in this one, impersonating a boy and trying to avoid marriage vs the convent as she tries to help her brother who is a monk and her cousin, the Grand Prince of 14th century Moscow, save the kingdom from their dangerous enemies. She also has a fabulous horse!

Lots of story, action, tension and I never wanted to put the book down. So glad there is still one more book to read.

10 comments:

  1. I really want to read this fantasy series and have since The Bear and the Nightingale came out. Your review only makes me want to read it more. Plus, the cover is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe you are the perfect reader for this series! I will be reading the final one, The Winter of the Witch, soon. Actually, I will read anything she writes.

      Delete
  2. We all need a little fantasy from time to time. This one sounds like a good mix.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the kind of fantasy I love too. I enjoyed this book, but I thought the third one was even better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK! I will have to get to it very soon.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a lovely read. Glad you enjoyed it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you enjoyed it. Does not sound like my kind of book, but the cover is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is fine, you can just enjoy the cover!

      Delete