Sunday, January 06, 2019

JANUARY READING GROUP UPDATE









Taking stock here at the beginning of a new year, I see that I am a member of 5 active reading groups. Two meet every month and the other three are usually bi-monthly. I continue to be enriched by our discussions and, truth be told, these groups are the core of my social life. I have also found true friends with whom I interact with on a regular basis. I have been in reading groups for a couple decades now and though there are pitfalls in such an enterprise, a good group is invaluable. 

Some of my groups take time to look over the past year and vote on our most successful and loved book. Here are the results:
Tina's Group: The Weight of Ink
One Book At A Time: Silver Sparrow
Bookie Babes: The Child Finder
Happily I am in complete agreement with those picks.

What were the best reads/discussions you had in 2018 in your reading groups, either IRL or on-line?

The January line-up is small and I have doubts about the One Book At A Time choice. I have already read and discussed The Bookie Babes selection in at least two other groups but it is a book that surely provokes discussion. I am looking forward to the pick for Molly's Group.


One Book At A Time:
Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org
 
 
Molly's Group:
Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org
 
 
Bookie Babes:
Support Independent Bookstores - Visit IndieBound.org
 
 
Have you discussed any of these in groups or read them? What are your groups discussing in January?

13 comments:

  1. Good luck in your January meetings and discussions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I listened to the audio of JD Vance's memoir and found it thought-provoking and admirable that he was able to get to Yale Law school from his rough upbringing. I probably don't agree with all of his politics nowadays but the book is more about his life story etc. I'll be curious what you think of it. Enjoy your groups!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am right with you on JD Vance.

      Delete
  3. Another interesting month of reading ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't read any of the books for your book groups, although Hillbilly Elegy sounds like it will be an interesting read... And a book that will make for a book group discussion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to all the discussions.

      Delete
  5. 5 reading groups, geez I was in one for a while and failed horribly at keeping up! Wish had I your kind of commitment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice of you to call it my commitment. I fear it may be my obsession!

      Delete
  6. Judy, this month, my church's book club met to discuss the Christian classic, The Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan. It was a really good discussion and I came away from it and on reflection enjoyed the book more than I realised!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good! I am looking forward to your review.

      Delete
  7. Judy, I thought Hillbilly Elegy was very good and, I tried Immortalists but it was a DNF. However, our book group will read it in a few months so I will try again. I think it was a matter of bad timing on my part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been wanting to read The Immortalists for quite a while. I hope it is at least a little bit good. I guess we will see!

      Delete