Saturday, October 24, 2020

POSTCOLONIAL LOVE POEM


 Postcolonial Love Poem, Natalie Diaz, Graywolf Press, 2020, 100 pp


I received this poetry collection as the June selection of The Nervous Breakdown Book Club. I had not known about Natalie Diaz previously. I followed my usual practice of reading a poem each night before bed.

The poet is Native American, born and raised in the Fort Mojave Indian Village on the edge of Needles, CA. In other words, on the reservation, which sits on the banks of the Colorado River. She is a member of the Gila River Indian Tribe. She teaches and holds the Chair in Modern Contemporary Poetry at Arizona State University. Her book has been shortlisted for the National Book Award for Poetry. This is a woman who gets things done!

The poems cover Native American issues, legends, relationships with land and air and water and animals. They also reveal the depth of Natalie's passion for her partner--sensual, sexy, hot! Survival, oppression, freedom, philosophy, love and humor are her subject matter. ("Top Ten Reasons Why Indians Are Good At Basketball" is an example of some of her humor.)

I humbly admit, in many of the poems I could only guess at the meanings of some of her words and lines. However I was never in doubt about her intensity, her passion. After I came to the end of the poems, I discovered she had written notes for some of the poems. So now I need to go back and read those again.

I also listened to her interview on the Otherppl podcast where I learned much about her life so far. You can listen to Natalie reading some of her poems here.

25 comments:

  1. I need to read more poetry. I also sometimes cannot figure out what I am reading. I agree that sometimes the overall message comes through.


    This collection sounds very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Though reading poetry is a challenge I feel it is making me a better reader and writer.

      Delete
  2. I have not heard of Natalie Diaz before now. Her poetry sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FYI, the Portland Book Festival is happening now with many virtual events. I noticed that Natalie Diaz will be speaking @ this event on Monday, November 16th. Thought you may be interested. Here's a link: https://literary-arts.org/event/pbf-diaz-lwr/

      Delete
  3. This is a new poet for me. I must learn more about her and her work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, Dorothy. I am so impressed by what she has done.

      Delete
  4. we picnicked once on the bank of the river that flows thru Needles (Gila?); so quiet and peaceful beneath the delicate trees, there, surrounded by the heat... bu that was fifty years ago; no doubt changed by now...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't read a lot of poetry but had very good success with verse books this year. I kept meaning to go and read more verse and poetry books and this sounds like a good one to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you continued enjoyment with poetry. I think reading a little at a time is best, at least for me.

      Delete
  6. I've listened to her on the Podcast as well! I really would like to give this book a go when I can!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Every time that poetry is going to die it doesn't, and I am thankful for that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I confess I am so uneducated when it comes to poetry. I don't understand it, and I don't know how to understand it a lot of the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was also uneducated in poetry. I guess I am learning by reading it. It seems to me to be a lot about imagery most of the time.

      Delete
    2. That makes sense, we get better at things by doing, after all. Even so, I think I will let you read the poetry, and then explain it to me in your reviews :)

      Delete
  9. Oh thanks for the link - I plan to listen to her read her poems. She is new to me. I'd like to hear Why Indians are good at basketball .... ha! (I remember Sherman Alexie was a basketball player too)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite good to hear her read. And she tells a bit of what was behind the poems she reads.

      Delete
  10. I don't really know anything about poetry, haha! I might check out her podcast though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My knowledge of poetry is close to nothing, I don’t know where to begin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started with A Thousand Mornings by Mary Oliver recommended to me by a young woman I admire. Then read the collected poems of W B Yeats, Ariel by Sylvia Plath, and I was launched. It does not matter where you begin, just pick a book of poems and read! I only read one poem a day, sometimes several times through, I read it aloud. Let me know what you find.

      Delete