Sunday, October 18, 2020

TOP TEN FICTION BESTSELLERS OF 1965

 Over the summer I completed reading the 1965 bestseller list for fiction. If you have followed my blog for a while you are familiar with what I call My Big Fat Reading Project. If you are new, go to the link to learn about why I read these best selling novels of long ago.

I have only reviewed three of the ten books here and I will provide the links to those reviews. Otherwise I will give you a brief synopsis of the other seven. The purpose of this post is to give my thoughts on how these books shed light on the events of 1965. It is my theory that in the 20th century the bestseller lists, which are based on sales, give evidence of the interests and concerns of fiction readers in any given year.


#1: The Source: Michener used the framework of an archeological dig at an ancient site in Israel to cover the vast history of Judaism, Christianity and Islam. Religious themes always sold well in the early years of the 20th century, but had not been as popular in the 1960s. I would think this one was of interest because of the growing tensions in Israel in the decade. 

Michener shows the connections between the religions and provides a history of their major conflicts. He made me think about religion, why humans need the idea of God, how religion had brought both order and chaos to our lives. An excellent read.


#2: Up The Down Stair Case: Bel Kaufman's book about her first year teaching in a public NYC high school is both hilarious and cautionary. The rules, the disorganization, the lack of supplies but most of all the challenges of making learning important to inner city teens, give what I was quite sure was an accurate picture of the scene. I wonder if LBJ's War on Poverty spiked an interest in this one.


#3: Herzog: This novel was also the #3 bestseller in 1964 and then won the National Book Award in 1965. It is his 6th novel but the first to make the top ten bestseller list. A middle aged intellectual is betrayed by his best friend who steals his wife. Bellow had cashed in on the midlife crisis plot before and since men still read fiction in the 60s, he did it again. 


#4: The Looking Glass War: The Cold War produced the spy fiction genre and Le Carre first hit the bestseller list in 1964 with The Spy Who Came in From the Cold. By his own admission, after that success , le Carre wanted to tell the real truth about the state of British intelligence in the early 1960s. The novel is grim. He shows a nation no longer the world power it was. Intelligence has become a political endeavor inside the offices of the military and intelligence branches. He became the antidote to Ian Fleming and James Bond.


#5: The Green Berets: These guys were the sexiest of military intelligence operatives during the Vietnam War so it is no surprise that this revealing but patriotic inside look at how they did the job would be a bestseller. I was appalled.


#6: Those Who Love: Irving Stone's biographical novel of Abigail and John Adams and their roles in founding American democracy must have had high appeal to readers still reeling from the assassination of JFK. For me, reading it in 2020, it was an indictment of how we have failed to keep those ideals. To his credit, John Adams as portrayed here had his doubts about that very thing at the time.


#7: The Man With the Golden Gun: This was the final James Bond novel. It takes place in Jamaica, though begins with Bond being brainwashed by the Russians after his capture in the prior book, then being given electric shock therapy by MI6 to make him fit for another mission. Again, the Cold War makes for bestsellers.


#8: Hotel: Arthur Hailey made his career with this first top ten bestseller. It is set in a famous New Orleans hotel which has seen better days and is now facing a hostile takeover by a hotel chain. Racism plays a large part in the story and that made it ripe for the times in 1965.


#9: The Ambassador: This was Morris West's third top ten bestseller. The second book on this list set in Vietnam, it is a fictionalized account of the months leading up to the CIA backed coup and assassination of South Vietnam's President Ngo Dinh Diem. The CIA giveth and the CIA taketh away when their implanted rulers stop playing by US rules. The novel does a fair job at showing the complexities of Vietnamese politics at the time and the toll this took on an American ambassador to the country. It captures that moment when LBJ began to plan his major escalation of the war.


#10: Don't Stop the Carnival is one of Herman Wouk's whimsical novels. A Broadway promoter decides to get away from the constant pressure of his job and the harsh New York winter by buying a hotel on a fictional Caribbean island that feels a lot like Jamaica. What was it about Jamaica in 1965?. It is a rip roaring read with some cringe inducing views of the natives who of course are Black and the many gay people who have taken refuge there from the homophobia of America. 

So there you have it. Have you read any of these books? I felt they gave me a pretty good picture of some of the major issues and concerns in America in 1965. I am now reading the novels that won awards in that year and will create a similar post when I finish those.

33 comments:

  1. What an EXCELLENT idea for a Project! [looks impressed]. The only one I've read (rather inevitably) is The Man With the Golden Gun. I read all of the original Bond novels in my 20's. I'd like to read all of the Le Carre novels if I can find the time.

    Review pile still holding @ 11.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love my project, except I keep getting distracted by new books coming out that I want to read. I try to keep a balance. Reading the Le Carre novels in order of publication has been an education in world history in the 20th century, and beyond.
      My pile is at 5 until I finish the next book. Who knew we could find a way to stress out just reading and blogging?

      Delete
  2. WOW, impressive and also sad that I haven't read any of these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane. They are from pretty long ago.

      Delete
  3. wow, pre-blog! it seems like another world, now... familiar books, all; haven't read any of them except the Bond one, tho... i think i was more into music at that time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was definitely more into music (and boys) then. That's why I am reading them now.

      Delete
  4. I wonder whether an author like Michener could do as well with that genre today? He certainly had a monumental output, much of which I read. Great to have this kind of retrospective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One author I have found who took on the mantle is Edward Rutherfurd. He takes a country or major city and follows its history through connected family generations. You might like his work.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on completing the list! I haven't read any of them, but these ten books do seem to give a good overview of the important issues and events in America that year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is impressive! I've not read any of thee books, but have read others by several of those authors... Michener, Wouk, Bellow, Hailey. I'll be curious to see what 1966 brings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, if I ever get through my entire 1965 reading list!

      Delete
  7. The only ones of those I remember reading are the Michener and the Le Carre, although I remember the other titles from that year. I do admire your persistence with your project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The project continues to be rewarding and interesting. I just wish I could go faster with it.

      Delete
  8. Oh wow! I find your post and your research so interesting. I never thought of doing something similar but it surely is a good way to kind of travel to a specific year in the past. I am gonna follow your blog so I don't miss any of your future posts. Have a nice day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Reading is definitely related to time travel! Especially to the past.

      Delete
  9. Wow great post. I like hearing about what was going on during my birth year. I have read a little Michener (1), le Carre (1), and Wouk (2) ... and seen the TV series Roots ... back in the day ... but none of these particular books ... so thanks for recapping their plots. We did watch all those early Bond movies though they are foggy in my memory, except Togo's flying hat in Goldfinger. Were these books too dated or fun reads?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the post! Most of these books were fun reads in terms of giving a picture of some of the concerns and views in that year. The dated aspects were due to how those views have changed, mostly for the better. You are lucky not having to grow up in the 1950s which were not a good time for women! Your first decade of life saw some of the biggest changes for women ever.

      Delete
    2. hooray to all the women pioneers ... who paved the way for us for better jobs & more equality

      Delete
  10. My father was born in 65 so that makes me want to read some of these. Up The Down Stair Case sounds like something I'd really like.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have not read any of the books on your list above. I have read other works by Herman Wouk, but that was years ago. And I would like to read a James Michener novel some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always learn so much from Michener and he is easy to read.

      Delete
  12. We sure glorified our soldiers, did we not! Looks like a good mix of war or security themed books, which make sense for that year. I love it when you can look at a year in books and get a sense of the theme of that year. Years from now, it will be interesting to look at the 2020 and 2021 books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your entire comment here today, Athira.

      Delete
  13. I was curious, so I looked on my Goodreads shelves what were my 1965 reads. Only 2: Stoner, which I dislike, so boring. And Le Vice-consul, by Marguerite Duras, not her best, but not bad either

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, two is good. You are in the club!

      Delete
  14. This is such a good idea! I might do it too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good! You might enjoy such a project.

      Delete
  15. I will have to find 'Up the Down Staircase'. And I am loving this project of yours. I have been wondering more and more about books published in 1983 and I might have to go off in search of them in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can send you my 1983 list if you can think of a good way. Like an email address?

      Delete
  16. Which ones of the three you've reviewed would you recommend to me or thought was the best one? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since you are a teacher, I would recommend Up The Down Staircase, even though I did not review it on the blog. Of the ones I reviewed I would recommend The Green Berets if you are interested in Vietnam War stuff. My favorites, even though I never got around to reviewing them, were The Source and Those Who Love, both are excellent historical fiction.

      Delete
    2. I added Up The Down Staircase to my TBR. I've read various of books like that in Dutch, and I always enjoy it! Thanks :)

      Delete