Wednesday, October 28, 2020

NOT WITHOUT LAUGHTER



Not Without Laughter, Langston Hughes, Random House, 1930, 299 pp


I read this for my Bookie Babes reading group. It was hard to believe that it was published in 1930! I will tell you why.

The story concerns Black lives centered around a family living in Lawrence, Kansas. Sandy is a growing boy living with his grandmother, his mother and two aunts. Grandma is a widowed washer woman, supporting three daughters and Sandy. Each daughter eventually goes her own way, but Sandy stays with his grandma until she dies, though he is influenced by the widely differing life styles of his mom and aunts.

The novel finally made me understand why so many Black women were deep into religion and church. They needed to believe in an afterlife that is not full of hardship, loss and suffering. It was also made clear why others look for good times and laughter or believe in education as a way to be able to compete with white people.

I always thought Langston Hughes was a poet, but he was also a wonderful novelist. His writing is lyrical, his characters are deep and rich with life, and the story kept me on the edge of my seat wondering what would become of everyone.

What struck all of us in the reading group was how much life is still the same for Blacks. Maybe a bit less harsh but still not really free, not really playing on a level field with the rest of society. It is now 90 years since the book was published. 156 years since emancipation. Etc, etc.

Yet, Langston Hughes brought major good things to his race. He came to recognition as a key player in the Harlem Renaissance in the 1920s with his support of other Black writers, his poetry, plays, novels and a special kind of hope and lightness of heart. 

26 comments:

  1. Oooh! I find this really hard to believe that this was published in 1930's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so messed up that a book published in 1930 about this kind of topic is still relevant today. I know things are slowly changing and getting better but it's just not fast enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not fast enough at all. We all know change is slow but this one is way too slow.

      Delete
  3. It is tragic, isn’t it, how Black lives seem to have stayed the same? Our book club read The Nickel Boys, which I could not even finish due to the sorrow I felt. How can we live with any group being ostracized, whether by race or belief? I try as hard as I can to be loving, to be nonjudgemental, and reading books like this helps me become aware of another point of view than my own narrow one. By the way, I have only read Langston Hughes poetry, and taught when I was still teaching. What a remarkable writer/poet he was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel you, Meredith. I read and read these voices, hoping that somehow just by understanding I can make a difference. I am thinking lately that it is up to white people who at least somewhat get it, to make a difference with whites who don't. Re: The Nickel Boys, if you could get to the end you would be redeemed.

      Delete
  4. Yes, unfortunately all the ugly realities of racial despair, are constant, (and unchanging it seems), realities of life in America.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunate though not surprising in a country initially built in part with slave labor.

      Delete
  5. In almost every Black literature I've read about the post-slavery abolition struggles or the many resistance efforts since, the struggles that Blacks have felt read eerily similar. Which makes sense because they are all a fight for the same things each time - their rights, their freedom, their dignity, their worth. Yaa Gyasi's Homegoing showed this awfully well, over a two century span.

    I haven't read anything by Langston Hughes but he is a poet/author I've heard about so much that I should change that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Homegoing showed that struggle so well. I was glad to be introduced to Hughes, who opened doors for so many voices.

      Delete
  6. Such an interesting book. I should read more about this topic because from my privileged position sometimes I forget their suffering. Have a good day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a plentitude of books on the topic and more coming out everyday. You make a good point.

      Delete
  7. I've not read Hughes' fiction - only his poetry. It's not surprising that he brought the sensitivity of the poet to the writing of novels or that they are still as relevant as the poetry. Sadly so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I have not read his poetry, except for the one you posted the other day.

      Delete
  8. I always thought of Langston Hughes as a poet as well; thanks for enlightening me Judy. This sounds like a good one but, the harsh reality that there hasn't been enough change over the years is quite sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. We seem to be living in a time of becoming aware of harsh realities.

      Delete
  9. prejudice, imo, is the product of social stalagmites. if history is viewed as a cave (sorry, Plato), stalagmites would be the limestone accretions that bar the path of the traveler. most of the surface would be clear for walking, but stalagmites barricade progress frequently and need to be knocked over... education is about the only tool i can think of that might ever do the trick...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So well said. I agree about education. That is why I read and why I blog.

      Delete
  10. I have not read his novels but have loved some of his poetry. I would like to read more of his works. He seemed quite prolific. I have reserved an autobiography of his called The Big Sea at the library. I'm glad your group picked his book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were glad too. That autobiography sounds interesting. I await your review!

      Delete
  11. Wonderful review and a timely one in lieu of the Black Lives Matter movement.

    I love books like Not Without Laughter that shed light on the lives of people around us. The sad fact that the lives of African Americans has not really changed much in 90 years is a travesty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lisa. I too love learning about the lives of people.

      Delete
  12. 1930s wow, thanks for sharing your review. You are right everyone should be on the same level especially after 90 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may be intellectually right but unfortunately I am in fact wrong. The struggle continues.

      Delete
  13. Lovely review. I didn't know Hughes wrote novels as well, or maybe I knew a long time but over time forgot and since then have only associated him with poetry.

    ReplyDelete