Sunday, September 13, 2020

IN THE COUNTRY OF WOMEN

 

In the Country of Women 

 In the Country of Women, Susan Straight, Catapult, 2019, 358 pp

 Susan Straight is another one of my favorite authors. I have read all of her seven novels. This book is a memoir that almost reads like a novel.

She is a petite blonde whose novels feature an extended Black family in Rio Seco, CA (her fictional name for Riverside.) Many years ago when I read her first novel, I've Been in Sorrow's Kitchen and Licked Out All the Pots, I along with others wondered what gave her the right to explore so deeply the life of a Black single mother.

Soon we learned that Susan Straight married into a Black family. In the Country of Women tells how she met and fell in love with her husband, how she grew up relatively poor with a Swiss immigrant mother, how she learned to read at the age of three, and how she became a writer shortly after she learned to read.

When she met Dwayne Sims, she found a huge extended family who accepted her unconditionally (after making sure she could cook.) Dwayne's mother provided the warmth that Susan's own mother was too embittered by life to give to her daughter.

I have a special affinity for girls who grow up reading every book they can get their hands on and then go on to write their own. Though Susan Straight is a decade younger than I, as kids we read all the same books!

Once she became an in-law to the Sims family and once she took a writing class with James Baldwin at Amherst College, she determined to research the history of both her family and the Sims. She also had three daughters with Dwayne and wanted to give them particularly the stories of all the strong women who came from Europe and the American south to California. Women who overcame incredible hardships and did whatever was needed to provide for and protect their children.

Hence the title: In the Country of Women. It is a beautiful, deeply emotional yet somehow lighthearted memoir. It is a gift to the world in which she proclaims the triumphs for which most women are left unthanked and unrecognized.

Most of all, it is a tribute to family, to taking care of your own as well as welcoming in those who are uncared for. It is full of hope. 

23 comments:

  1. books like this that connect instantaneously with the reader are beyond price... i recall just a few of them and they cheer me up whenever i do...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the truth, mudpuddle! By the way, are you ok there in Oregon? Is it smoky? It sure is here, though the fire is not close enough to us to be worrisome. Just hoping it is the same for you.

      Delete
    2. pretty much the same, yes: cessation of outdoor activities: no bicycling for a while... my kids have houses in the Cascade foothills and they've both been evacuated, but so far as we can tell, they haven't been burned out yet...

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the report. May these days of smoke and fire come to an end soon, at least for this year.

      Delete
  2. Susan Straight seems like the kind of person you would love to have lunch with one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw her speak once and I wanted to at least have coffee with her.

      Delete
  3. I will definitely be reading this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of you while I was reading it!

      Delete
  4. This definitely sounds like a keeper. I haven't read Susan Straight, but I hope to include her in my future reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is. I predict you will find much to love in her books.

      Delete
  5. This sounds like it’s definitely worth reading, I’m not familiar with the author but thank you for sharing it, I’ll have a look!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting. She seems like she has a great & close-knit family. I haven't read her yet ... but I'm adding her to my list. I grew up in Redlands so Riverside is close by. I'd like to visit with her at her fence library ... maybe you will see her here: https://news.ucr.edu/articles/2020/08/19/good-fence-libraries-make-good-neighbors

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you will like her books, I am sure. I looked up that article and it sounds just like her. Maybe I will get there soon. I used to play music at a coffee house in Redlands, so I have been there. Nice to know you grew up there. And she has a book assistant, just like you!

      Delete
  7. I too feel especially like kindred spirits with those who read early and often. I started reading at age three also and have never stopped!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds to be a very warm and very well-written book that will leave you feeling good. I haven't heard of this author but I'm looking forward to changing that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad to spread the word about Susan Straight!

      Delete
  9. Appalled I don't know at all this author! So if I wanted to try one of her novels, which one should I try first?
    I have been discovering so much through you, thanks!
    Also, so glad I can now see your website url when you comment on my blog. Now I can just click and visit. Otherwise, I have a hard time remembering the url

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you know of her now! I would recommend starting with Blacker Than a Thousand Midnights. All the rest follow from there. I think we are in balance on helping each other discover books. I had to switch from Firefox to Safari as my browser because Firefox kept crashing on my nice up to date computer. Go figure. So I have had to adjust my signing in to other blogs that are not on Blogger. If that brings you here more often it is all good!

      Delete
  10. This sounds like an excellent memoir. I am having trouble focusing since RBG's passing but, perhaps a good memoir might help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is one of the top memoirs I have read. There are a lot of people to keep track of, just saying if you are having trouble focusing right now. But I found I did not need to remember everyone to enjoy her story.

      Delete